Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
No. On librelec, kodi is effectively baked in, so you will need an updated version of librelec. At some point, the librelec developers will release a new version inc the new kodi version. Droidbox will then probably make it available as an ota update subject to compatibility testing.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Personally I would wait until the Droidbox team release an OTA update in relation to Librelec - gonna be stable then mate.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
not really Frank. On android, kodi is just an app like everything else on google play store or wherever.
Librelec is an operating system, and Kodi is built into that O/S as an integral part so a totally different concept.

So you cannot download kodi separate to librelec.

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Oh Nigelar, you beat me to this answer...

In Android, Kodi is a separate application which can be installed and uninstalled any number of times like any other application.

But LibreELEC is is a tiny Linux OS built around Kodi. Both are integrated and can not be separated. LibreELEC being a small Linux, will consume small resources compared to Android. Hence it is very efficient and good for devices with low memory and slow processor. That is why we can have a LibreELEC Kodi on a Raspberry Pi.

When a new version of Kodi is released, the LibreELEC team will work on it and integrate it with Linux OS and release it as a new version.

Frank Renshaw

Jan 11, 2015
Thankyou guys, learning more about this box every day.
One thing, whilst in Android, will a factory Reset effect my Librelec setup. Thanks.