onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
new to all this so please excuse my ignorance here; what is the advantage disadvantage of these two ways to access add ons (eg wookie) I can get to add ons via XBMC/kodi or openElec or single add-ons in android? Probably missing the obvious here.

I have a T8 S

thanks

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
The difference is in kodi, android side you have background apps running.
This can slow you down or cause errors , although not often.
Also uses the proseser power which can slow you down.
In Openelec nothing is running so you get all the power just for openelec.
So you get smother playback and faster results. All because there are no apps running in the background.
Another one is to set one up for kids, ie Cartoons and stuff. The other for a more Adult movie and other stuff.

Hope this helps

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
On OpenELEC side you can only access Kodi (Add-ons), while as on Android side you have access to Kodi, DBMC and all Android Applications. You can play games, you can transfer data and lot of other things that you can do on Android side.

Reactions: David Savage

onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
can you help with this issue, why has sound stopped working on openELEC side, but not on the android side? when watching video streams it was working I change the skin and rebooted to android then when back in to openELEC it streams and playbacks the visual but no sounds.

Last edited:

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
new to all this so please excuse my ignorance here; what is the advantage disadvantage of these two ways to access add ons (eg wookie) I can get to add ons via XBMC/kodi or openElec or single add-ons in android? Probably missing the obvious here.

I have a T8 S

thanks
I would rather say Android VS openELEC as both of those can run Kodi(XBMC).

Android is OS that i won't get in to but openELEC is special OS designed to run Kodi(XBMC) only.

While being such it can give great speed up if you are using low end hardware,or simply if you want to use Kodi(XBMC) only,openELEC is a way to go.

Also openELEC have some special openELEC features,also unlocked Kodi(XBMC) settings that were not changeable in Android.

Also openELEC is stripped down disto and being such it still have some left overs from disto that it is based on(Ubuntu)so you still have choice to use ubuntu fonts,even install some of the additional apps through Kodi(XBMC).

Regards

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
Hello Onjonone,

While playing a Movie (any video) click OK button on the remote and it will bring up options at the bottom of the screen, now click on Speaker icon and it will bring up audio settings.
Now try to change the settings in there and see if that plays the sound. Usually changing the settings in there has worked for users. Give it a try.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Savage

onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
Hello Onjonone,

While playing a Movie (any video) click OK button on the remote and it will bring up options at the bottom of the screen, now click on Speaker icon and it will bring up audio settings.
Now try to change the settings in there and see if that plays the sound. Usually changing the settings in there has worked for users. Give it a try.

Hope it helps.

thanks but this didn't work.

onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
Can you let us know how your DroidBOX is connected (in terms of your TV and any audio equipment involved) and which sockets are used please.

Thanks, there is probably no point in giving you this information as when playing a video via the XBMC/kodi all the sound works. so therefore the cable supplying the digital mixing desk which is linked to the amplifier which is link to the speakers which then produce sound from the droidbox. so therefore everything outside of the droidbox is working. is there a possibility that the RCA outputs get disabled when in openELEC?

onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
Check in system, system and go to Audio setting and check it's set to 2.0 and further down enable passthrough and highlight DD and DD transcoding see if this helps you.

sorted all the setting as you suggest although not sure what you mean by "set to 2.0" no difference

onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
in this video
it shows the 2.0 i don't have that option/view. should I send it back as I just did a factory reset and sound still doesn't work in openELEC

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@onjonone Can you check the OTA Updater app in Android please, see if there is an update waiting for you? There was previously an issue with using the phono sockets for audio in openELEC, but an update sorted that. If OTA Updater app doesn't report there is a newer firmware available, can you head to openELEC's Program Add-ons and click on the Dev Update entry please.

onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
ok no update in "OTA Updater android" or openELEC'S Program Add-ons and click on the Dev Update entry.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If there are no updates available, can you let me know the build number/version installed in openELEC and Android please?
In Android, it'll be presented on the OTA Updater app, in Kodi please check System Info under the System menu.