Gambit1138

Aug 24, 2017
Got my T8-S Plus V2 in the mail yesterday. Having some problems:

- The Android section reboots within minutes or seconds of usage, unprompted. Tried restoring factory settings and installing the latest firmware with an SD card. Oddly enough, the box works fine when I boot it into LibreELEC.

- I have a 2TB WD External HD with movies, music, etc. on it. It recognizes fine in LibreELEC and I was able to populate my library there, but every time I boot into Android, I get an alert that wants me to reformat the HD as removable or internal storage, with the warning that my drive will be erased either way.

Any guidance? It's a bit frustrating to only get half of my box functioning right out the gate. Thanks for the help.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
When Android 6 boots it will check for any external devices such as memory sticks, hard drives etc and prompt if you wish to format them for internal/external storage. Press the back button to ignore it until the next time you reboot.

When on Android, is it rebooting randomly after a factory reset with no other apps, addons etc installed?

Gambit1138

Aug 24, 2017
On Android, the box restarts every time I try and update an app, to no success, or when I'm in any app for no particular amount of time. There's no other apps or addons installed because it reboots before anything can be installed. I do press the back button to prevent my drive from getting wiped, but as a result the Android Kodi system doesn't navigate to my HD.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
On Android, the box restarts every time I try and update an app, to no success, or when I'm in any app for no particular amount of time. There's no other apps or addons installed because it reboots before anything can be installed. I do press the back button to prevent my drive from getting wiped, but as a result the Android Kodi system doesn't navigate to my HD.
Hi

Can you disconnect the drive and try to boot to android afterwards and see if the same would occur?

Also if already on the latest firmware please make sure that factory reset was performed after the firmware re install.

If the problem still persist please do email us at [email protected] together with the link to the forum thread and your order ID.

Thanks and have a nice day ;)

strykerpks

Sep 13, 2017
Good evening (in America) so I guess good morning to you all. I'm Matt and I've been lurking here for quite a while. I hope everyone is having a great week!

I have been having random reboot problems as well since I got my device back in March. I have contacted support and eventually updated firmware and did the latest OTA update. David and Igor were very helpful on that front.

I am having consistent random reboots on any build, and even on a single add-on in Kodi (17.3 and 17.4). The reboots have been much less consistent in straight Android, however I have had it happen. It happens after sitting idle for a few days, a few times in YouTube, a few times in Hulu, etc.

I'm pulling about 20GB down and I'm hard wired so I'm hoping my speed isn't the issue. I'm running IPVanish as well. I've watched 3 movies in a row in Kodi without issue and I've turned on the TV to search for something and had it reboot immediately. I haven't played too much with LibreElec, however I have found random reboots there as well.

If I had to gauge, it happens 95% of the time when browsing. Using either the supplied remote and/or the i8 Mini Keyboard....both with the dongle plugged in and without.

We just had our 3rd baby last week (TIA, no congrats necessary) so I'm just hoping to solve things for my wife who will need a flawless option after we cut the cable this week.

I hate to say but I need some sleep before work and to relieve my wife for a few minutes. I think I can get here on Tapatalk so I hope to reply relatively quickly though my device won't be with me. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Good evening (in America) so I guess good morning to you all. I'm Matt and I've been lurking here for quite a while. I hope everyone is having a great week!

I have been having random reboot problems as well since I got my device back in March. I have contacted support and eventually updated firmware and did the latest OTA update. David and Igor were very helpful on that front.

I am having consistent random reboots on any build, and even on a single add-on in Kodi (17.3 and 17.4). The reboots have been much less consistent in straight Android, however I have had it happen. It happens after sitting idle for a few days, a few times in YouTube, a few times in Hulu, etc.

I'm pulling about 20GB down and I'm hard wired so I'm hoping my speed isn't the issue. I'm running IPVanish as well. I've watched 3 movies in a row in Kodi without issue and I've turned on the TV to search for something and had it reboot immediately. I haven't played too much with LibreElec, however I have found random reboots there as well.

If I had to gauge, it happens 95% of the time when browsing. Using either the supplied remote and/or the i8 Mini Keyboard....both with the dongle plugged in and without.

We just had our 3rd baby last week (TIA, no congrats necessary) so I'm just hoping to solve things for my wife who will need a flawless option after we cut the cable this week.

I hate to say but I need some sleep before work and to relieve my wife for a few minutes. I think I can get here on Tapatalk so I hope to reply relatively quickly though my device won't be with me. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!
Hi

Can you tell us if you performed factory reset after OTA update was applied?

Regards

strykerpks

Sep 13, 2017
Hi

Can you tell us if you performed factory reset after OTA update was applied?

Regards
I don't believe I did. I think the only factory resets that I did were back around the time of the firmware update. I think I assumed the OTA update sort of did that on its own. I will give that a shot tonight. Thanks

PS If it is something that simple I'll punch myself in the face

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I have a T8-S V1 box and I had similar problems. I had two externals and was having problems connecting them to DBMC/Kodi. Most of the times when rebooted to Android, the two externals were mapping wrongly and I could not access the library.

Later on after an update of LibreElec 8.0.1 with Kodi 17.1, I switched over to LibreElec and never looked back. It is smooth sailing now. If you bought this box for exclusive Kodi usage, I recommend you to switch over to LibreELEC. Even accessing the external HDDs on this box from your laptop over wi-fi is very easy compared to Android.

strykerpks

Sep 13, 2017
I don't believe I did. I think the only factory resets that I did were back around the time of the firmware update. I think I assumed the OTA update sort of did that on its own. I will give that a shot tonight. Thanks

PS If it is something that simple I'll punch myself in the face

Well, let the face punching commence. It looks like the OTA update never took. I was still on the February build. So I used the update fix from the pinned "OTA complaining" thread and then updated to the July build. There was an option for "Factory reset and install" so I did that. Would that be enough or should I still do a factory reset through the recovery menu?

I'll see how this goes over the weekend. Thanks again.

Last edited:

strykerpks

Sep 13, 2017
I have a T8-S V1 box and I had similar problems. I had two externals and was having problems connecting them to DBMC/Kodi. Most of the times when rebooted to Android, the two externals were mapping wrongly and I could not access the library.

Later on after an update of LibreElec 8.0.1 with Kodi 17.1, I switched over to LibreElec and never looked back. It is smooth sailing now. If you bought this box for exclusive Kodi usage, I recommend you to switch over to LibreELEC. Even accessing the external HDDs on this box from your laptop over wi-fi is very easy compared to Android.
Thanks! I have a hard drive that I haven't connected just yet so I may have to look into LibreElec a little more if I run into issues with it.

But I want to keep things as simple as possible for the wife and kids so I'll probably stay on the Android side for now with some apps that we are currently using.