David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Well, they look the same but, the T8s has droidbox share, Kodi open elec (Linux build if Kodi) also android apps and everything that's in the T8....
1 more thing is it has a port for a hard drive...check the review Husham on YouTube.

Enjoy

Reactions: ChrisM

clive.gwilliam

Jun 20, 2015
Is there any point in buying the T8S when you already have the T8?
As for the hard drive, can you use it to record as you stream in Kodi or openelec

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you have the T8, the only real reason for grabbing the T8-S would be the ability to internally connect a hard drive (rather than USB) or dual boot Android/OpenELEC.
Oh, and DroidBOX Share -

Finally, if you've got a TV in a second room in your house, you can always slide the T8 there.

Re the hard drive and recording, only the same way as you could with a USB external hard drive. Live streams of TV channels can't normally be recorded, some of the other add-ons do allow it.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
If I remember open elec when selected has to reboot so it shuts down all other android apps and Kodi. Then only Kodi runs witch is a Linux version witch is better suited for a hard drive to record, and also the power of the box is just for Kodi and nothing else. So because of this it runs smoother and faster then the android version if Kodi.
Then when you finish you can always go back to android and use that as well.

Hope this helps

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
DroidBOX Share is definitely a big plus (currently for Android phone/tablets as a remote control, or even on a PC, Apple hardware supported soon).

Re the hard drive and Android app installation. Currently that isn't natively supported. You might be able to sort it manually, but no support offered. The concept of having a drive become mapped to internal storage effectively has been raised, but I'd not want to infer any guarantee it will get past testing stage if results aren't reliable enough.

baggiebuckster

Jun 22, 2015
Is it possible to run Android and OpenElec versions of Kodi on this box? So maybe one build for the kids and another for adults. I know you can do profiles in Kodi but this may be another option where different skins and addons could be set up.

Also - what is the best remote for the T8s? If DroidShare can be used to configure Android phones etc then is there a need for anything over and above the default remote?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've replied to this same question somewhere else today
I'll find it and copy it in.

[edit]
Can't find it! Must be around somewhere. The language seems near enough identical though, so I'm assuming you're the same person. When you get a spare moment, could you let me know where else I answered and reassure me I'm not losing it!

Last edited:

baggiebuckster

Jun 22, 2015
I've replied to this same question somewhere else today
I'll find it and copy it in.

[edit]
Can't find it! Must be around somewhere. The language seems near enough identical though, so I'm assuming you're the same person. When you get a spare moment, could you let me know where else I answered and reassure me I'm not losing it!

You emailed me the answer - thanks. Don't panic - you are not losing it ;-)

Reactions: ChrisM