pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Hi
I have noticed if I switch droidbox x7 off and then switch back (not putting it to sleep with the blue button) and then on the next day or so all the settings have changed especially in xbmc. It looses all the hdd on the usb (powered usb)
Is there any way I can make the hdd stay at their setting ie fstab?
They change from udisk 0 up to usb disk1 some times the 2 hdd are within the folder usb disk1 or usb disk0
So me is thinking I may be able to fdisk and give them a boot setting?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
When you turn the X7 on, try an experiment - the first time, wait a full 10 minutes before you run XBMC, you should find your settings are still there. Assuming this works, try a five minute wait after booting up before running XBMC. Repeat until you find the shortest amount of time where XBMC reliably starts up with settings intact, then add 10 seconds to be sure.
We occasionally come across this issue with XBMC on Android devices, where the location of your User folder (with your config stored in it) is not mounted quickly enough.

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Ok I tried switching off leaving for 6 hrs then going back, all seems ok, but guess what ?
Now I switch to sleep, quick press of the blue light, it turns red and then about 5 mins later it goes blue again lol pmsl
Ney mind,
But the question still remains is there a way to boot the HDD to stay in their fstab boot?
It seems tobe trying to download something thats already downloaded but what that is? No idea. Its not concerning me its just a query :cool:
The boot is
sd card
External_sd
USB_DISK4 containes udisk0 ? Ithink its a usb multi card reader with 1x32gig card
USB_DISK5 1TBself powered HDD in ntfs-inside thee some how is....udisk0 (containing nothing) and udisk1 (containing nothing.this disk is for 4gig big files ie 3d when and if I ever find some.
USB_DISK0 2 tb unpowered HDD inside is udisk1 inside that is all my music, recorded tv etc

Hope all that makes sense :cool:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Re blue light coming back on again. This is an event, most often from a USB device, waking the DroidBOX back up again. As an example, if I have my VIP remote control's USB dongle plugged into a DroidBOX model that is set to sleep/standby, then nudging the remote control (thereby sending a "move the cursor left a few pixels" command due to the air-mouse function) will wake it back up again. To prevent this from occurring, I flip the VIP RC on its back (this disable the air mouse function temporarily). In terms of hard drives possibly waking the device up, check if the manufacturer has a util to set options within the drive itself (rather than OS-controlled/initiated settings). As an example, one of my older external Seagate drives has to be told to enter low power mode after 5 minutes, otherwise it sends some sort of comms via USB and wakes up my PC, laptop, DroidBOX etc if connected.

Re partitions not being visible (NTFS comes to mind), I've got all my external drives as FAT32 for now, but I did have an issue on my Kindle Fire2 tablet (custom ROM), where I needed to have the app installed to access these partitions.
I'm looking through my list of all apps ever installed, and can't find one that looks right. Unless they've changed their UI? I'd try experimenting with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kwull.ntfsmounter and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.mounter first. If they don't help, let me know and I'll scroll through again.

Re keeping hard drive's partitions to the same label/path in Android, maybe this could be done with some (once tested, automated) terminal commands? Unmount (dismount?) all the drives/partitions at boot up, then mount and point them with defined commands, rather than a first come, first served basis?

Reactions: pibitvillage

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Ah, I'm with you now I think.
I read
USB_DISK5 1TBself powered HDD in ntfs-inside thee some how is....udisk0 (containing nothing)
As device reports drive's partitions contain nothing, but there are in fact files there.

Re something being downloaded, which app shows that? If you bring the notification slider on screen, any further info given?

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Something downloading but nothing is downloading, I openned the download app and cleared the cache and all seems ok now thanks. This site is great with responce times :cool:

As about the auto mount question,
I found an apt called Mount Manager in google play.
Am going to try to play with it this eve, it looks good but time will tell.
Gotta work out what each box means first 8-(

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Ah, something new to play with :) Thanks
See https://droidboxforums.com/threads/tweaking-apps.102/ for a link to the BusyBox set of utils that Mount Manager recommend you have installed.

hmm Android 4.2 and up should expect the possibility of issues, unless that review is for an older version of the app.

Ah, still some hope, especially for us Android box/stick users:
Works for me. Installed app on MK808 android stick and makes Seagate GoFlex Home drive a local drive as expected. Autoload on boot works. Finless Bob v2.1 Rom on MK808 has cifs.ko built into kernel. Transfer speed is good.

Reactions: pibitvillage

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you're willing to experiment, and don't mind invalidating your warranty (should your device end up hardbricked and not be flashable at all), I'd recommend checking out the alternative firmwares you can find at http://www.freaktab.com . It can take a while to find the area of the forum you need, you'll have to know exactly which chips are on your device's circuit board etc etc, but for custom kernels and firmware authors on tap, it is a good forum to dive into. If I didn't work full time, I'd probably spend a lot more time experimenting with/blowing up/writing about Android boxes/sticks because of that site!