paolo

Nov 24, 2014
Really strange issue has come up which I find quite baffling.
We have a fluorescent tube unit fitted in my kitchen which is next room to where droidbox is situated.
Incredibly, when light is turned on in kitchen I lose picture and connection and have to reboot box which obviously is pretty annoying.
I have tried different hdmi leads and also connecting box to other hdmi port on tv but problem still persists.
I have had several kodi boxes before and never had this type of issue, anyone able to offer some advice?

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
Not sure if this will help, Try changing the starter unit on the tube, this has helped me is the past not with a Droidbox but with RFI. worth a go.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Very early energy efficient light bulbs used to play havoc with some audio/visual equipment, it was infrared based (used to work in a TV repair shop many years ago).

sblabs has a good call on the starter unit. If this isn't possible, might be worth checking if there is something you could wire in place to clean up the electrical interference (if it does turn out to be this).

To double check if it is likely to be infrared or dirty mains, start with the DroidBOX and light turned off. Now cover up the front of the DroidBOX, so nothing can get through to the IR sensor on the front of the case.
If you turn the light on and the DroidBOX behaves normally, try removing the barrier you put in front of the DroidBOX. If it now has issues, it is VERY likely the flourescent tube is giving off infrared light interference and this is causing the issue.
If the DroidBOX plays up even with the front blocked off, then the tube/starter unit is the culprit, presumably sending dirty spikes or similar on the mains wiring.

If changing the light/starter unit isn't possible, you could try getting a decent mains surge protector for the DroidBOX (I'd put any other delicate electronic equipment on it as well). If it cleans up the mains electricity well enough, this should prevent the light/starter unit causing the DroidBOX problems.

paolo

Nov 24, 2014
Hi Slabs/ChrisM,
Many thanks for tips/advice, it is much aprreciated.
Will play about with suggestions this evening and post back in due course.