md_rogers

Jun 30, 2016
Today I got a T8-S Plus. I've installed and formatted a HDD in the unit, and would now like to access if from my Windows 10 PC, in order to copy media to it. I'm connected via an Ethernet cable, but it doesn't appear in Windows Explorer. Any help would be appreciated.

smoggy333

Mar 21, 2016
You need to have the T8-S Plus in OpenElec in order to see the HDD in windows. Don't know why, but that's what I have to do.

Once in OpenElec the box acts like a network attached storage device, you ban browse for your box and map a drive. Drive will only work when in OpenElec tho.

Hope this helps.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@smoggy333 You need to have a server running for data to be shared.

SMB/Samba (I use Samba Droid) is easiest in Android (personal opinion), though FTP server and other options exist.

OpenELEC has a suitable service in place out of the box, Android requires the user to actually install an app and configure, see the thread I linked to for SambaDroid URL.

smoggy333

Mar 21, 2016
I can transfer data from my PC to the T8-S Plus fine in OpenELEC mode and I don't have any server running either. I don't want to share data, just transfer data from PC to the T8-S Plus. Thats what md_rogers seems like there where trying to do also? I just map a drive to the T8-S Plus and drag and drop files... this is how I have always done it, may be wrong??? but the transfer speeds are fast ?

Either way as long as you achieve your goal md_rogers :)

cheers,

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Transferring data from one device to another involves sharing the data.

OpenELEC does have a service/server running, otherwise you'd not have any resources to access over the network. It is just in place by default.

Android doesn't have a similar service installed/configured by default, see other recent post regarding SambaDroid/FTP Server/ES File Explorer.

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
go the the Droidbox market place, look on left hand site look under network apps and install sambadroid and set it up, job done. if ya need the pro one pm me ;p

Last edited:

Taofeus

Oct 8, 2016
Sorry if this sounds very basic, but I'd like to use Filezilla to transfer files from my computer to my box. Where can I get the ftp connection details (host, username, password...) for the box?
If I install SambaDroid, would I be able to download directly on the box from an FTP not on my home network?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
@Taofeus download ftp server demo from google playstore on your box, open it and start. Then open filezilla on your pc, use ftp:// (whatever address in ftp server demo) username is ftp and password is ftp. Good luck.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
There are other ways but you mentioned filezilla and thats what I use. Not used any other way

Taofeus

Oct 8, 2016
@Edwin Williams I've followed your advice an I'm using Sambadroid pro as well. Overall it works fine (although the transfer speed is a bit disappointing, rarely more than 1mbs...), but I've had problems with some large files (2-5 gb) where it doesn't want to work.
I'd get messages like "not enough space to save file" (when I've only used 20gb out of 900gb) or if I try using Filezilla, I get messages like "451 Couldn't open file "xyz" aka "/storage/udisk0/Films/xyz" for writing" (also the file xyz doesn't exist in the destination folder)
I've noticed that this happen with files I've add a problem transfering before (connection stopped or something like that). Any idea where that comes from and how to solve this?
Thanks

shah nissar

Android Tv Expert
Mar 30, 2015
Today I got a T8-S Plus. I've installed and formatted a HDD in the unit, and would now like to access if from my Windows 10 PC, in order to copy media to it. I'm connected via an Ethernet cable, but it doesn't appear in Windows Explorer. Any help would be appreciated.
Please check the video tutorial below, this might help you out: