James Farley

Mar 28, 2015
Hi Folks,

I bought a Droidbox M8 from Droidbox dot co dot uk and unfortunately when I click on 'XBMC for droidbox' from within the Android homescreen, the green Droidbox logo appears for 5 seconds or so but then it crashes and goes back to the Android homescreen. If I check in task manager, the XBMC process is still running.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot,
Jim

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hi, try this not sure if it will work, but worth ago. On Android home screen go to settings then look for storage, then scroll down and clear cache for all apps . This will take xbmc back to a just install state without losing your settings. Hope this works for you...

wizard1001

Jan 17, 2015
Hi, try this not sure if it will work, but worth ago. On Android home screen go to settings then look for storage, then scroll down and clear cache for all apps . This will take xbmc back to a just install state without losing your settings. Hope this works for you...
I can confirm that this doesn't help David (for me anyway). I have always had this problem when launching xbmc (Gotham) on the T8, if it is the same problem as James. When I launch xbmc it reaches the xbmc homescreen for 1 or 2 seconds then crashes back to the Android homescreen. I just relaunch xbmc and usually after 1 or 2 attempts everything is ok. It only gets annoying when it takes 5 or 6 (or more) tries but that doesn't happen very often. I've had at least the last 4 versions of the droidbox wizard installed including the most recent and it has been the same with every version. Interestingly I also run Kodi on my T8 with the droidbox wizard installed and from memory I don't think it has ever crashed on launch, so it may be a problem specific to Gotham.

Reactions: David Savage

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Hi Wizard1001, I have the T8 to and I've have Gotham 13.2 and Kodi 14.1 and both up to now no probs on start up(touch wood). But it might just be a bug in the system not sure but sometimes clearing cache takes xbmc back to a just installed launch. Might be worth checking you have xbmc in file manager , then if its there go back to android settings, more settings,xbmc,uninstall then go back to file manager and reinstall it. You will loose all your setting in xbmc and will have to re-run the wizard but it might fix it.....if your not bothered leave until its really bad or wait for the Kodi build witch is being tested. Thanks for your reply its good to have other people's opinion on things..Dave

Reactions: wizard1001

wizard1001

Jan 17, 2015
Thanks Dave. It usually launches after 1 or 2 clicks. I've done the clear cache in the past and it crashed on the first attempt after doing so I'm happy enough to leave it as it is. As I said it doesn't annoy me that much as its not every time I launch xbmc it happens and when it does its usually just a case of a second click and it launches fine.

M_Wigelsworth

Mar 28, 2015
I am having the same problem as James, though I am sorry to say "clear data" and a re-run of the wizard produces the same issue. Clearing the cache allows me to to see the green start-up screen before blanking and exiting, otherwise, no joy at all. :(

wizard1001

Jan 17, 2015
I am having the same problem as James, though I am sorry to say "clear data" and a re-run of the wizard produces the same issue. Clearing the cache allows me to to see the green start-up screen before blanking and exiting, otherwise, no joy at all. :(
At what point does it crash for you? do you reach the xbmc homescreen or does it crash during the green start-up screen? It usually launches for me after 2 or 3 tries.

M_Wigelsworth

Mar 28, 2015
It crashes at the end of the green start up, it never reaches the home screen - I have tried a dozen times or so.

wizard1001

Jan 17, 2015
Sounds like a different problem to mine then, mine always gets to the xbmc homescreen and loads after a few tries. Sorry I can't help further.

M_Wigelsworth

Mar 28, 2015
Hi David,

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately, no luck!

- uninstalled and reinstalled from backup file
- wizard runs fine. After completing wizard, I pull the plug
- system reboots, but xbmc goes black then exits everytime.

I would greatly appreciate any other ideas I might try.

Michael

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
This is strange, it might be time to use live chat in our main site. The link is on the front page of this forum, and then the little greenish box that says messages in the corner. Good luck and let me no how you get on.

Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
mine has done this ever since i owned it , its not a problem , i just assumed it was because i was attempting to open XBMC before it the box had finished bootung it up , when it reverts back to android home page i reclick XBMC and i opens fine on a rare occassion it i might have to open three times but i have never considered this. Problem thats needs fixing ?

M_Wigelsworth

Mar 28, 2015
Hi,

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread with similar issues to mine, I can happily report that a factory reset was advised, and worked. I am unable to post a link due to my new status on the forum, but the guide can be accessed on the main site.

Kind regards,

Michael

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Hi again, a factory reset is normally a last resort as things can go wrong. Glad you are all sorted now. There are threads here that can walk you through the steps of a factory reset to. Sometimes a simple clearing the cache can do and you don't loose your settings in xbmc to. Enjoy your droidbox. Dave

Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
Isn't it about time all these " links " were stored under one heading ?
Trawling thru post after post looking for different ones seems crazy .

wizard1001

Jan 17, 2015
Isn't it about time all these " links " were stored under one heading ?
Trawling thru post after post looking for different ones seems crazy .
Many (but not all) of the questions asked on the forums can be answered from under one heading https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/ but its still nice to be able to help someone if they come to the forums to ask the question.

Last edited: