hal9000

Aug 10, 2023
About 21 months ago I purchased a Proteus 10s (since when I installed Windows 11). 6 weeks or so ago the machine started to just hang towards the end of the day. It felt very hot when touching it. A fan problem was diagnosed remotely by Droix. They could not guarantee to fix it due to not necessarily being able to get a matching fan - I was asked to identify the fan, which I could not do without disassembling the whole thing. I could send it back, and should they not be able to fix it, they would send it back at my cost, unfixed. Or, I could try a computer repair shop to see what they could do. It was only 21 months old!
So, as a first fix, I took the top off and the machine ran a lot cooler than it did with it on. The number of hangs reduced, but did not stop. So I bought a small USB fan which, with the top of the Proteus off, has stopped the hanging altogether, but is a little bit messy on my desk.
The other thing I discovered as a result is that the USB ports, and possibly other electronics, do not power off when the machine as a whole is shut down. This is probably a bit of a suspect design fault, at least, I have never witnessed this before.

StuDroiX

Staff member
Dec 7, 2021
About 21 months ago I purchased a Proteus 10s (since when I installed Windows 11). 6 weeks or so ago the machine started to just hang towards the end of the day. It felt very hot when touching it. A fan problem was diagnosed remotely by Droix. They could not guarantee to fix it due to not necessarily being able to get a matching fan - I was asked to identify the fan, which I could not do without disassembling the whole thing. I could send it back, and should they not be able to fix it, they would send it back at my cost, unfixed. Or, I could try a computer repair shop to see what they could do. It was only 21 months old!
So, as a first fix, I took the top off and the machine ran a lot cooler than it did with it on. The number of hangs reduced, but did not stop. So I bought a small USB fan which, with the top of the Proteus off, has stopped the hanging altogether, but is a little bit messy on my desk.
The other thing I discovered as a result is that the USB ports, and possibly other electronics, do not power off when the machine as a whole is shut down. This is probably a bit of a suspect design fault, at least, I have never witnessed this before.
Hi. Sorry you are having issues with the proteus 10s. It does sound like simply replacing the fan and thermal paste on the heatsink would solve the issue. Unfortunately due to the manufacturers changing the heatsink and fan design halfway through the production life of this model, to ensure we can get the correct fan, we would need the model numner of the fan. Regading postage, as this is out of warranty, it would be at your cost. We offer pre-paid shipping labels for devices in warranty only. Even though the device is out of warranty, we are still trying to help solve the issue and if you could provide the information we require, we will try and help you further.