alex sin

Dec 28, 2015
I am looking at buying a droidbox but am not sure which one to choose and don't know a lot about them, it will be used in my bedroom to make my tv smart and stream movies, of course the cheaper the better.
Which one do you recommend?

mark1

Nov 14, 2014
It's the same with anything else...you get what you pay for..there's plenty of counterfeit machines on ebuy if you want cheap and get scammed...it all depends on choice the new t8 or t8s are really good machines £70/£90. There's a couple of reputable firms to buy from droidbox being one of them ;)

27mark

Aug 10, 2015
one of the t8 models, trust me buying a cheap box is a false economy, imo for hd you need something with at least 2gb ram on board

alex sin

Dec 28, 2015
Ok thanks for your help and I believe that kodi is the software used on the devices but all I understand that this does is allow you to stream which movies you like, is this correct and is there any more to how it works?

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I am looking at buying a droidbox but am not sure which one to choose and don't know a lot about them, it will be used in my bedroom to make my tv smart and stream movies, of course the cheaper the better.
Which one do you recommend?
I would recommend DroidBOX PlayOn .

Its first portable device from us and there is special 30% OFF at the moment

https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-playon.html

Its a hand held console,but it can also be connected on the TV/monitor set so it can also serve as a regular box,and you can use it on the go,its 2 in 1.

Regards

jaypb007

Sep 1, 2015
Yes it's wireless (playon)....check the above link and watch the video too.
No im just thinking if this is for his bedroom .(upstairs) he may have issues with a wireless box ..especially hd content

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

jaypb007

Sep 1, 2015
Id go firestick..5ghz wireless 1gig ram ...just put a simple build on ie nemesis ..job done ..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I have no complaints about my T8 bought from droidbox. In fact I have 2 of them.

Reactions: mark1

mark1

Nov 14, 2014
T8 are the way to go...some of the wizards out there are idiot proof...I have 3 t8 and also got a couple for older family...set it all up for them very happy bunnies...a no brainer mate.....99% of problems on here are people not looking after their machines right....its a learning curve but we'll worth learning ;)

Reactions: Macca57

mark1

Nov 14, 2014
Also the firestick is only 1gig whereas the t8 has a minimum of 16 gig...at end of the day memory is key....the more the better....you get what you pay for .

Macca57

Aug 4, 2015
As all the boxes practically do the same thing buy the top of the range available within the price you can afford - standard rule of thumb for anything.
Look for built in WiFi - a decent controller, you need mouse ability, keyboard and the standard TV controls and make sure where you buy it from is a well known traceable source.
Once you have the box and set it up, the problems start, this doesn't currently and never will in its current state offer a complete alternative to PPV television. Sport from the major channels is hit and miss and even when its a hit, the picture is pixelates badly.
TV shows are better quality but the box is reliant on third party addon suppliers like Genisis and Phenix - most of the time they have broken links or no streams at all. Not their fault however as they themselves rely on 3rd party servers.
Films - same as TV really
I supposes its a matter of expectations, we are all used pressing a button, seeing a Menu, selecting from that Menu and watching without interruption what we have selected in HD or very good SD.
The Andriod TV box and Kodi provides excellent hardware and software to be able to watch TV over the internet - but the available streams do not always live up to expectations. You will experience frustration and annoyance on endless searches, broken links, poor buffering, disconnects and general mayhem.
I have told many times though, what do you want for free.
After 6 months or so though I have once again managed to set up the T8 - everything but the sport, I conclude that will never compete with the big boys of PPV. I am willing to spend 10 minutes finding and starting the TV show/Film I want s reasonably happy.
If any of the addon developers or Kodi for that matter change anything I don't know who you are but if you are only looking to promote your skill, I can tell you I don't care, I just want stability. What I have however are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you leave the software in the stable condition it is now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. :)

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
A few responses for you macca on your lengthy and erudite reply.
1. Most of the buffering, pixellation and "general mayhem" states are due to server overload at the hosting end. Apart from upgrading servers and infrastucture (which costs) how do the developers overcome that, for free?
2. Most addons are effectively leeching sources provided by others. For example look at the list of sources SALTS grabs when you search for a film. How do developers have control over which links work and which don't when it is the host which controls availability? In fact it is the never ending search for working links which leads to the constant change in addons which you bemoan (e.g. when the hosting sources denied access to kodi addon developers due to loss of advertising revenue - many addon developers had to change their code to bypass advertising to maintain kodi's no advertising aethos).
3. If you are interested in sport, currently njm soccer, uk turk, operation robocop and phoenix stael are probably the best for EPL football.
4. For the avoidance of angst, steer clear of genesis for now as it is not being maintained by the developer.
5. Please make a New Year resolution not to kill any more developers in 2016.

Oh, and a Happy New Year!

Reactions: Macca57

Macca57

Aug 4, 2015
I do appreciate the trials and tribulations of developers, I acknowledge how good the Android box is and also Kodi. I think I agree with you it’s at the mercy of the ADDON community and many of them seem very fickle.

Conscious of the fact we could end up hijacking this thread – the originator asked for the best option to buy. I answered the highest spec they could afford (imo that would be the new T8) and from a reliable source. I also gave them a description of the undeniable trials and tribulations they may face getting it to deliver to their expectations.:rolleyes:

Genesis has worked better since they stopped developing it – though sadly now it is losing links. Also noticed that many wizards still install it… that’s why I don’t use wizards but research, download and keep the ones I can see working. I already have Robocop for the sport, downloaded directly, it is tolerable if I am really stuck, the best of a bad bunch. Not their fault either, they have a good product it’s the quality of the streaming, but what can you expect for free and certainly cannot go anywhere to complain.:confused:

The quote at the bottom was tongue in cheek, taken from Liam Nelson in the film Taken, I am too busy updating the box to hunt and kill developers :)

Happy New year to everyone.

Reactions: Nigelar

Parks

Jan 1, 2016
I would recommend you to go for T8 or T8-S PLUS and currently we are running discounts up to 20% on our devices.
To know more follow the below link:
https://droidbox.co.uk/choose-your-droidbox.html
Does the first time buyer promo code apply to this discount as well?
I do appreciate the trials and tribulations of developers, I acknowledge how good the Android box is and also Kodi. I think I agree with you it’s at the mercy of the ADDON community and many of them seem very fickle.

Conscious of the fact we could end up hijacking this thread – the originator asked for the best option to buy. I answered the highest spec they could afford (imo that would be the new T8) and from a reliable source. I also gave them a description of the undeniable trials and tribulations they may face getting it to deliver to their expectations.:rolleyes:

Genesis has worked better since they stopped developing it – though sadly now it is losing links. Also noticed that many wizards still install it… that’s why I don’t use wizards but research, download and keep the ones I can see working. I already have Robocop for the sport, downloaded directly, it is tolerable if I am really stuck, the best of a bad bunch. Not their fault either, they have a good product it’s the quality of the streaming, but what can you expect for free and certainly cannot go anywhere to complain.:confused:

The quote at the bottom was tongue in cheek, taken from Liam Nelson in the film Taken, I am too busy updating the box to hunt and kill developers :)

Happy New year to everyone.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk