Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Hi all,
Sorry if I am asking what millions have asked before me - I cant seem to find a thread.
I know my way around LE7 but Im needing a sort ov idiots guide to installing a VPN on LE only - I never use Android side. Im not sure how to do it and need advice from start to finish. Do I install on Android side also or is it totally separate?
Also I aint sure which VPN service to use.
Apologies if this has been covered but I cant find threads.

Im totally convinced now after speaking to employees that my SP is blocking.
Dave

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
Android / LibreElec are completely different operating systems so aren't linked at all. I've got my VPN working perfectly on LibreElec and it's really simple to do once you get your head around it.

When I am at a decent keyboard (can't type on a phone) this evening I will do a full walk through start to finish.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Wow!!!!! Thank you so much for the offer. Im glad I can install on LE and leave it separate.
Thank you and I await your walkthrough as I really need some guidance.
Dave

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
OK, so the first thing is to get yourself set up with a VPN company. I have only ever used PIA (Private Internet Access) and it has never, ever let me down in over 12 months of regular use. It costs about £30 for a year or £5 for a month, they do not track usage (at all) and you can use it on up to 5 different devices (so you're Android "side" of the box can be covered too by downloading the app from the google play store).

Having said that, other VPN providers are available. ipVanish are recommended by Droidbox but I've never used them so I can't comment. A complete list of VPN providers that work with LibreElec using the method I'm going to describe is:
  • Private Internet Access (PIA)
  • ipVanish
  • VyprVPN
  • Invisible Browsing VPN
  • NordVPN
  • tigerVPN
  • Hide My Ass!
  • PureVPN
  • LiquidVPN
  • AirVPN
  • CyberGhost
  • Perfect Privacy
  • TorGuard
  • HideIPVPN
  • LimeVPN
  • BTGuard VPN
  • ExpressVPN
  • SaferVPN
  • Celo VPN.ht
  • TotalVPN
  • WiTopia
  • proXPN
  • VPN.ht
  • Windscribe (Pro accounts)
  • VPN Unlimited
  • VPN.ac
  • VPNSecure
Just because they are supported though doesn't mean they are any good. I'd use a well known one if I were you, choice of VPN provider is important for a number of reasons.

So when you have signed up to a VPN, you will be provided with a username and password. Keep a note of that.

Go to this website:
https://github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/wiki/01.-Installation

This is where you can get the repo that will give you the VPNManager addon that you will need.

Full instructions are available on that site but I will summarise here.

Download the Repository (I download the repo rather than the standalone addon so you get automatic updates) to a mac/pc.

Copy that over to LibreElec (I copy it in to the downloads folder but its up to you). I use Samba to copy across to LibreElec If you don't know how to do that, check out
https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?title=Accessing_LibreELEC#tab=Samba_2FSMB

If you have any specific challenges with that just shout back.

Next, go to your addon explorer in LibreElec and install the repo from the zip you have just put on to LibreElec (In your file list click the Home Folder button then the "Downloads" folder or wherever you copied it over to). That will give you the Zomboided repo. It's the same process as installing any addon/repo from a Zip file, just that it is in your home folder rather than a website you need to define in File Manager.

Next, click install from repository and install the VPNManager addon from the Zomboided repo you have just installed. Give it a minute, it will get there.

Go to Program Addons > VPN Manager and open it up. If it doesn't come up with a "Wizard" option at this point, click Settings when the addon has opened and it should give you the option to set up using a wizard. Choose the wizard and then choose your VPN Provider from the list that comes up.

Put in your username and password for your VPN. Let it do it's thing.

In the settings of VPN Manager go to VPN Connections. This is where you choose which server you want to connect to by default (when you open LibreElec). Choose a server (the closer to you the better for speed) and click ok. Then you can choose secondary, third etc. servers if you wish but it's not essential.

That's it. Now, every time you switch on LibreElec after a couple of seconds it will say "Connecting to VPN" or similar at the top of the screen then give you a message saying it has connected. You're then good to go. There is no need to disconnect before switching off either, just switch off as normal.

There are a LOAD of settings in VPN Manager that you can tweak if you wish (so mine is set to Southampton server but if I open IETVNow which needs you to be based in Ireland, VPN Manager automatically connects me to Ireland without me doing anything) but my advice is to take it slow and get to know it. If you don't know EXACTLY what an option is going to do, leave it alone.

There's loads of info and good instructions on the Zomboided GitHub site (above) so give that a read too. If you have ANY questions on it though I will do my best to answer, just shout.

Good luck!

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Wow!! I cant thank you enough my friend. I will copy this and print it out and get started on it. I does look a bit daunting but your instructions are spot on for me.
Ive heard good things about PIA so I think Ill go with them.
AGAIN - THANK YOU

Reactions: sean99

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
No worries. Don't be daunted, when you get in to it it's easier than I make it sound, just wanted to cover EVERYTHING just in case.

Any problems whatsoever just shout and I will do my best to help. Also, the Zomboided link above has a load of useful info and guides on there and if you Google "SEO Michael VPN Manager" he's done a good guide too.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
No worries. Don't be daunted, when you get in to it it's easier than I make it sound, just wanted to cover EVERYTHING just in case.

Any problems whatsoever just shout and I will do my best to help. Also, the Zomboided link above has a load of useful info and guides on there and if you Google "SEO Michael VPN Manager" he's done a good guide too.
Thank you so much

palpatine

Sep 26, 2016
i dont get it why would you want to add a vpn 2 libreelec directly when you can just add the androidbox directly so everything on the box is protected or doesnt it work like that???

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
LE is a separate side mate to Android. I use LE and nothing else. MY addons dont show on android side and vice versa.
Dave

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
https://droidboxforums.com/threads/libreelec-what-is-it-does-it-matter.9116/ (or go straight to https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/what-is...ce=Announcements&utm_medium=What+Is+LibreELEC )
Most of our Android based mini PCs come with both Kodi and DBMC installed. This means you can set up these two similar applications to have different collections of add-ons and an entirely different interface.
Some people set up one for their children, with only family friendly content made available, then setup Kodi or DBMC (whichever they've not used) with the full gamut of online entertainment. For people who like having the very latest versions of builds or new add-ons, it can be useful to have one application for testing, and the other to be used by the rest of the family, with changes made less often.
All of these uses for two similar but distinct set ups can be extended with LibreELEC - the Kodi installation in this operating system is entirely independent of Kodi's configuration within Android.

ray_ingles

Dec 11, 2014
I've gone through the process above no probs and use ipvanish. Works fine in android but in libreelec it worked for a day then couldn't connect to VPN server. Tried to change connection to new primary server but keep getting message from openvpn saying UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD VPN PROVIDER FILES. I have uninstalled VPN manager and reinstalled many times but message is the same. I'm at a loss what to do and pulling my hair out I'm sure it's something simple but out of my league can anyone help

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
Hmmmm. Any problems I've had have been resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling. One thing to try is in the options for VPN Manager, there are a couple of options to reset VPN provider files and another one that I can't remember off the top of my head. Try resetting these through the add-on then uninstalling and reinstalling VPN manager. May clear out any old or redundant files before you try and set up again.

ray_ingles

Dec 11, 2014
Thanks I'll give it a try I've also e mailed ipvanish to see if they can help but no reply from them yet

ray_ingles

Dec 11, 2014
Tried the above sending me round in circles. In reset all VPN files to default I get message saying. DELETED ALL .OVPN FILES. VALIDATE A CONNECTION TO RECREATE THEM. Go into connections to do as instructed and validate primary VPN connection then get original message UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD VPN PROVIDER FILES.

ray_ingles

Dec 11, 2014
Thanks I did a reinstall but when it asked to validate a connection got same message as before. I think it may be something to do with incorrect time. I looked in the log and time was checked. All works fine in android but in LE I can't get the correct time to set. I noticed another comment on the forum which mentioned problems setting time and when it was resolved vanish worked ok