Rob Pitt

Jan 9, 2019
If the device goes to sleep with a VPN active (over Ethernet) it causes the Ethernet connection to show up as disconnected and Ethernet will not work again until you restart the box. I doubt anyone knows how to fix this, I expect it's a firmware issue (but if you do great!). Does anyone know how to contact the manufacturer so I can ask them if they'll fix it?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
The Droidbox people may see this post and can check what is happening (assuming your box was supplied by them) or you can email them via the contact us link at the foot of the forum.
Say what vpn you are running and whether it running on the box or on the router.

Rob Pitt

Jan 9, 2019
Nope, I didn't buy it from them :( I didn't realise they sold boxes until after I bought it. I'm running ExpressVPN which uses OpenVPN as it's VPN library, I will test it with IPVanish but I strongly suspect it's the firmware not the app as I had an X88 Max Plus that broke the Ethernet whenever you tried to use a VPN and I tested it with various VPNs. VPN is running on the box not router.

Rob Pitt

Jan 9, 2019
Well that's me wrong, IPVanish doesn't do it, it maintains the VPN connection while sleep is active. I'll test tonight to see if it screws up if I leave it until the connection times out.

EDIT: Not so wrong, if you leave it a while then it breaks the Ethernet.

Last edited:

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Im with Digibit and Ive never experienced this. It maybe that I have not noticed but Ill try it tonight.

Rob Pitt

Jan 9, 2019
I tried it with IPVanish, if I leave it asleep for a while then it breaks the Ethernet.