Phil4321

Nov 14, 2017
Hello all,

New user here but will probably be around quite a bit because apparently my new job will involve interaction with these devices.

I believe some of my colleagues were duped by some vague advertisement on one of these set top boxes, specifically the himedia Q1.

My company is trying to deploy an android box combined with an LG 55UH61 4k TV for the purpose of displaying advertisements in our various kiosk locations. The end result is substantially poorer quality than was expected and I believe this is because the advertisement is not being displayed at 4k resolution.

I'm hoping you can confirm my speculation regarding the reason for that.

The Himedia q1 has "4k" splashed all over the box and website, but after further inspection I believe the device is not running at 4k resolution but instead it is only capable of 4k video playback. Looks like this thing is stuffed with a HiSilicon 3798M and based on its whitepapers, i think this is the case.

Our advertisements are not 4k video but rather 4k resolution images that slideshow in a signage player app that we can centrally manage. Due to this fact, I think the problem is simply that the app and images are displaying in the device's native resolution which is 720/1080. images are not video and thus this box is not capable of what we are asking.

That sound reasonably plausible?
Any recommendations for a fully 4k capable box?

Thanks for any help, info, suggestions you can lend. Feel free to provide any general tips or tricks when dealing with these boxes. Very new here to the android box community.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hello all,

New user here but will probably be around quite a bit because apparently my new job will involve interaction with these devices.

I believe some of my colleagues were duped by some vague advertisement on one of these set top boxes, specifically the himedia Q1.

My company is trying to deploy an android box combined with an LG 55UH61 4k TV for the purpose of displaying advertisements in our various kiosk locations. The end result is substantially poorer quality than was expected and I believe this is because the advertisement is not being displayed at 4k resolution.

I'm hoping you can confirm my speculation regarding the reason for that.

The Himedia q1 has "4k" splashed all over the box and website, but after further inspection I believe the device is not running at 4k resolution but instead it is only capable of 4k video playback. Looks like this thing is stuffed with a HiSilicon 3798M and based on its whitepapers, i think this is the case.

Our advertisements are not 4k video but rather 4k resolution images that slideshow in a signage player app that we can centrally manage. Due to this fact, I think the problem is simply that the app and images are displaying in the device's native resolution which is 720/1080. images are not video and thus this box is not capable of what we are asking.

That sound reasonably plausible?
Any recommendations for a fully 4k capable box?

Thanks for any help, info, suggestions you can lend. Feel free to provide any general tips or tricks when dealing with these boxes. Very new here to the android box community.
Hi

Please take a look at the link down below regarding our devices .We offer a range of both android and windows based boxes.

Our boxes support both 4K video playback and 4K resolution.If unsure you can easily check by looking at the CPU/GPU and doing the search online for its max resolution supported.

Everything is available on the product listing,once you open desired product you can browse through device description,showcase video and below you can see full device spec list.

https://droidbox.co.uk/choose-your-droidbox.html

Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
As you may have guessed, you're likely to get a lot of recommendations in this forum to buy a DroidBOX device instead. One thing worth checking on your current device... if you head to the Settings area, and then look for Screen/Display (if you can't see an entry like that, look for a More Settings button to click). Once you're in the right area, check if you can see which resolution it is currently set to. If 4K/UltraHD/UHD isn't mentioned (perhaps 720/1080 instead), see if you can disable HDMI automatic resolution detection OFF, then manually set a 4K mode. If nothing comes on the screen, don't press any buttons for about 15/20 seconds and the device should revert to the previous setting used. I'm assuming the original retailer of your current device is unable to assist?

Phil4321

Nov 14, 2017
Well i learned quite a bit more about set top boxes and i did actually make some progress but not full "resolution".

First thing that helped a lot was a tool to troubleshoot the resolution because there is no real native option to display this. "Screen Resolution & density" will give you the ability to actually check the current resolution.

Initially i was running in about 720p but eventually worked towards using the "wm" command through adb to manually set the resolution to 4k. This got me to a 2k resolution that looked much better however still not 4k obviously.

I believe i have hit a resolution ceiling in either android itself or the GPU on the chip. I found a totally different workaround for the time being so haven't been back to investigate further but will probably take a second look at some point.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Well i learned quite a bit more about set top boxes and i did actually make some progress but not full "resolution".

First thing that helped a lot was a tool to troubleshoot the resolution because there is no real native option to display this. "Screen Resolution & density" will give you the ability to actually check the current resolution.

Initially i was running in about 720p but eventually worked towards using the "wm" command through adb to manually set the resolution to 4k. This got me to a 2k resolution that looked much better however still not 4k obviously.

I believe i have hit a resolution ceiling in either android itself or the GPU on the chip. I found a totally different workaround for the time being so haven't been back to investigate further but will probably take a second look at some point.
Hi

Take a note that you can also use scale feature,which can scale the picture across the whole display.

This can help you out if your screen is either in or out few pixels in diameter.

Regards