drmore

Aug 6, 2014
I just received my refurbished droidbox t8-se. I have a list of issues.

1. Can't boot to libreelec from cold boot.
2. No recovery mode
3. Reboot app complains device is not rooted and fails.
3. Device thinks its a phone, only downloads touchscreen apps.
4. Need a mouse connected to make apps usable.
5. Some apps refuse to work, netflix crashes instantly.
6. Casting doesn't work. No chromecast or airplay.
7. Remote is useless.

Any ideas?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
1) Keep pressing the menu button when offered (rather than a single click).

2) Not got one to experiment with, does it have the recovery switch on the side like other T8 models? If so, just in case you haven't seen this vid before:

3) If the device is not rooted, then the reboot app won't work, agreed. Not sure I've seen it advertised as rooted, but others at this forum may know of a rooting method for this model

4) Comes down to application creators, if they don't accomodate Android users using the cursor keys and the OK button, then yes a mouse/trackball/remote control with Air Mouse/touchpad will be necessary for some interactions. Check if your IR remote has a Cursor/Mouse icon on the infrared remote - if it does, press this once to change up/down/left/right to move an on screen cursor (slowly). Press the button again to return to normal mode.

5) Netflix might need updating (Play Store), or possibly even downgrading to a specific build that works on non mobile phone/tablet Android devices

6) What happens when you try? If you open up Kodi and head to Settings (cog in nearly top left corner), Service Settings, AirPlay and enable it, do Apple devices then connect OK?

7) Models tend to come with a basic infrared remote control. A long time ago DroidBOX tried including premium remotes in the price, however potential customers tend to base their purchasing decision on the cheapest supplier, often ignoring the benefits of a premium remote control etc.
DroidBOX Share, a premium remote control, Kore or Yatse (Kodi remote control apps to install on your Android/Apple hardware) are other options.

drmore

Aug 6, 2014
1) Keep pressing the menu button when offered (rather than a single click).

2) Not got one to experiment with, does it have the recovery switch on the side like other T8 models? If so, just in case you haven't seen this vid before:

3) If the device is not rooted, then the reboot app won't work, agreed. Not sure I've seen it advertised as rooted, but others at this forum may know of a rooting method for this model

4) Comes down to application creators, if they don't accomodate Android users using the cursor keys and the OK button, then yes a mouse/trackball/remote control with Air Mouse/touchpad will be necessary for some interactions. Check if your IR remote has a Cursor/Mouse icon on the infrared remote - if it does, press this once to change up/down/left/right to move an on screen cursor (slowly). Press the button again to return to normal mode.

5) Netflix might need updating (Play Store), or possibly even downgrading to a specific build that works on non mobile phone/tablet Android devices

6) What happens when you try? If you open up Kodi and head to Settings (cog in nearly top left corner), Service Settings, AirPlay and enable it, do Apple devices then connect OK?

7) Models tend to come with a basic infrared remote control. A long time ago DroidBOX tried including premium remotes in the price, however potential customers tend to base their purchasing decision on the cheapest supplier, often ignoring the benefits of a premium remote control etc.
DroidBOX Share, a premium remote control, Kore or Yatse (Kodi remote control apps to install on your Android/Apple hardware) are other options.

1. That worked, i was holding the button before.
2. Still cant boot to recovery. I would like to do a factory reset as i think the device has the last owners settings still on it. Didn't get the first run wizards on boot or on starting kodi.
3. It was advertised as being rooted but this isn't the case with my box.
4. That will be my reason to return the device. It needs to be wife friendly, digging out a mouse to use iplayer will anger her. I would rather find a way to install the tv versions of the apps.
5. I can live without netflix, would be nice if it worked but i'm not holding my breath. From what i've read its not going to work on rooted\unofficial boxes.
6. Not really interested in casting to kodi. I like to use it with the youtube app
7. I have a logitech harmony remote. Its fine to hop about the launcher but as soon as I open an app it becomes useless. I need to go find the mouse.

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, If you cant get to the recovery menu to do a factory reset, you could try going into your settings (storage/reset) and see if you can perform one from there.

drmore

Aug 6, 2014
Tried that. Same result. Ether the button is broke or the recovery img is missing.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Please follow the guide at
for how to factory reset in case you done the procedure incorrectly. You can also Factory Reset from within Android by going to Settings and choose it from there.

It is unlikely Netflix will work as Netflix have removed support for it. Hopefully enough people will complain and they reverse their decision.

If you are still having any issues and if not already, could you please email [email protected] with your order number or full name and post code the order was delivered to. And some details on the issues. Thanks.

drmore

Aug 6, 2014
The issue is that recovery is missing or corrupt. No matter what method I use, it can not be accessed.

I was provided with the firmware zip to do a restore but that didn't work. The update app attempts to boot into recovery to flash the rom but the device just reboots and loads the os.

I also tried the amlogic usb burning tool but the device refuses to connect to my pc or macbook. Tried two cables, neither one worked.

I installed adb to see if i could gain access to the box. No connection with usb (suspect the usb port is faulty?)

I can access the box over wifi with adb. I can send commands, push files etc. Sending the fastboot command to go into bootloader mode in order to flash a rom causes the box to hang upon reboot.

On the surface the box seems to be working fine. You wouldn't know there was any issue untill you tried to boot into recovery for an update or something.

robit

Jun 6, 2015
I only hope all this will be sorted y the time I get mine, which is on backorder! Assume when they come in, they will have to load the droidbox firmware so keeping fingers crossed.