pclaptop

Mar 3, 2016
Not sure if this is the right forum or website, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction!

I have an older Android (name on top cover with standup antenna at rear) TV box using a Rockchip rk 616 chip.

i need to get the basic firmware image to burn to it using the RKtool (i have version 1.7)program.

I see alot of image files for rk3188 and rk3066 but i cant find an RK616 image?

anybody have any input? I've been googling my fingers off, but so far no luck!

thanks in advance

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@pclaptop Very much a long shot, but try having a search around the team behind http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/ , as they have some code up at http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com:...323700404e07cfe/sound/soc/rockchip/rk_rk616.c that refers to the RK616 SoC.

Failing that, have you asked people over at the freaktab forum? Although http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rockchip-based-tv-players doesn't mention a RK616, you're likely to find someone there who might be able to point you in the right direction.

pclaptop

Mar 3, 2016
Silently screaming, I removed a heat sink and underneath was a cpu/chip with RK3188 on it! So I have downloaded 3 different RK3188 images and used RKBatch tool to "successfully" burn those individual images only to no avail. This android rockchip based unit will not turn on , only a red led light under the power switch on the top part of the box lights and
20160528_050349.jpg
20160528_065740.jpg
that is it! No onscreen graphics or ANY other sign of life!

BTW thanks for reply

Last edited:

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Hi there, I successfully did this a few times around three and a half to four years ago so am running off memory here. The device you have is stuck in recovery mode and that was the problem I kept occurring, I wasn't entering recovery mode properly whilst using RK batch tool (enter recovery in batch tool by depressing home button simultaneously as inserting power lead you will hear its connected but connecting device to PCs via otg to usb 1st off) Also the only f/w that I could get to work was kk 4.4 downloaded from chinagadgets site with correct rockchip drivers also. When it's finished successfully installing it kicks out of recovery and home button turns blue. Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Reactions: pclaptop

pclaptop

Mar 3, 2016
OK thanks sean99, two things, 1st) how exactly (procedure) did you get it in to recovery mode so I can write an image file to it using RKBatch tool (v1.7) and what was the name of the file(image) you burned?
Right now three files have been suggested to be the correct ones for this Android Rockchip, first one is just "update.img" dated 4/1/15 and 565,529kb in size second one is "Q7_23_12_2015.img" dated 4/20/16 and 759,831kb in size and the last one is "Q7_18_05_2016.img" dated 0/18/16 and 759,831kb in size!
Beings they are identical in size, I think the last two image files are the same with different names!
But MOST importantly . . . how did you get this Rockchip android into correct recovery mode? If this unit was not in correct recovery mode, I wonder why the RKBatch tool says the various images were loaded correctly?
rk3188upgradeok.jpg

Last edited:

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
It was also a mission for me as was pulling my hair out with it saying it installed successfully but stayed in recovery mode, unfortunately have long since sold the box and am also on holiday. I am the way of thinking that these images you have are not correct for your device. I really am running off memory here and am sure I tried the 4.4.02 f/w's with no luck but the 4.4 worked the 1st time I tried it. The box is not dead it's just stuck in recovery, I upgraded from 4.2 to 4.4 f/w and was happy to get kit kat on to it at 4.4. If you are using the correct img with the correct drivers installed from the same place you got the img from it will install then turn blue (out of recovery mode) I don't think I did anything different to get into recovery mode from my last post, when you hold home button and connect otg and turn box on can you hear the driver kick in and have you come across any 4.4 img files thru a search?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@pclaptop Have you already tried all the images from https://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/firmware-links-for-x7-and-x7-ultimate-devices.4876/ ? If you can't decide which to try yet, grab the one that mentions Q7 in that list. They had the RK3188-T variant I think.

Standard disclaimer, might hard brick your device, don't blame us, any upturn in local missing pets or lightning strikes not to be attributed to DroidBOX, sudden aversion to modern pop music will be unrelated to any firmware upgrades.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
@pclaptop Have you found an image file that works? I have found the 1 I used successfully, if you need it give me a shout.

GranMain

May 27, 2019
Hi...the device you have is stuck in recovery mode and that was the problem I kept occurring, I wasn't entering recovery mode properly whilst using RK batch tool .Also the only f/w that I could get to work was kk 4.4 downloaded from chinagadgets site with correct rockchip drivers also.