Ronel

Apr 24, 2017
When I first purchased a Droidbox T8 it was purely for streaming TV and sport in general. After around 6 months and fed up with the constant buffering I disconnected and it has been in the cupboard ever since. Talking to some one yesterday he claimed I had setup the Droidbox wrong.
On receipt I downloaded TV streaming apps (including Mobdro, BBC and I T V to the home page of the Droid box. I am now told that I should have downloaded all the streaming TV apps to Kodi where there are more set up options (cache etc). to stop buffering.
Apologies for lack of modern tech savvy but as a AOP but I have just got my head round ipads.
Thanks for any help.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
The first thing I would recommend is to run a speedtest on the box to check you have a good internet connection - the Ookla speedtest tool from the Google play store is good. Also use an ethernet connection rather than WiFi.

Regardless of whether you are using Android apps or Kodi, the most common cause of buffering is server overload. Live sport can be a problem on the fastest and newest of machines due to the number of people accessing the streams. This is out of your control and the only alternative is to try different streams or Kodi add-ons. If you have a good internet connection you should not have a problem streaming from "professional" apps like BBC iPlayer.

Making sure your apps are up to date sometimes helps. In your case, on an older android box like the T8, the version of Android you are running is quite old, and it cannot be updated. This will limit the version of Kodi you can run - Kodi 16 is the latest. Sites like koditips and seomichael have lists of the best Kodi media and sports apps along with installation instructions.

Ronel

Apr 24, 2017
Many thanks for your help. Is it possible then to download (for example) the Android Mobdro app and also download Kodi and add Mobdro. My thinking is if the android app is a bad reception I could switch to Kodi to see if there is any improvement.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
No you can't.

Kodi has its own addons which are separate and distinct from android apps (check the sites i mentioned)

There used to be a distinct kodi mobdro addon but i dont think that is going now. You can access the android mobdro app from within kodi but since it is the same single app performance will be the same.

I usually get pretty good live sports on kodi on my old T8. But often have to spend a little time switching between streams and addons to find a good one. SD streams are often the better choice compared to HD ones.