Dave6991

Aug 11, 2016
just signed up for a monthly sub with PIA and had a few questions about sett up, so emailed them and was told by return email that android box does not directly support vpn, and I need to set up vpn within the router, is this just a official response or are there other vpn,s that i can use

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Droidbox have a relationship with the ipvanish people and it should already be loaded on your Droidbox if you have bought it recently so maybe try that?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
PIA app is in the playstore as I use it when need be on my T8s plus box with no problems and got the years subs, at first I joined for a month and was trying to use it abroad on ios but it didnt work so got a refund. It worked on box when got home so took out the yearly so as long as you have your login details it should not be a problem.

Dave6991

Aug 11, 2016
I have MX111 box and did get the app from the playstore, just concerned about the reply from PIA that android box does not support VPN , also still having problems with the settings for PIA have a lot of boxes to tick, which do i need to tick?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
I was told they were not sure it would work on android tv boxes when I got in contact with them, I just went to login and put user and pass in then all of the vpn connections came up. Am at work at the moment but you need to enable the vpn in box settings also.

Dave6991

Aug 11, 2016
seems to be working ok, but the tick boxes are , Local port
remote port
use tcp
port forwarding
use small packets
enable mace
kill switch
should any of these boxes be ticked
not sure how to enable in box settings

Dave6991

Aug 11, 2016
still not convinced with this, have enabled vpn in box settings but seems that this changes back to wireless needs to be reset each time on opening box, does privateinternetaccess really work with my box

Chris_kn

Jun 6, 2015
Manchester
Guys, just DL the app, run it, you'll have to sign in to it. THEN open 'kodi' and it just works all the geoblocked content and url's etc.
That was all I did. Just use the mini keyboard so you can 'tap' the app:) No need to set up the 'box' to use a 'vpn', or 'kodi'.
I was using a T8 box.

Chris..

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
I've used PIA flawlessly with my T8-S Plus box on both Android and OpeneElec for the past 6 months. As said above, just download from Play Store and log in. OpenElec is a little more tricky to set up but SEO Michael has an easy to follow guide on his site if you want to install on OpenElec.

Oh and there is an option on the app (from Play Store) to switch the VPN on as soon as you open the app so you don't even need to use the mini keyboard to "tap" it.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Out of interest StringyMCFC what region/country do you hook up to the most and what are the d/l speeds with that country/region like. I have had pia for a few months now but dont use it much, also the number of countries has gone down from my 1st use of it. Tia

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
It connects to London by default but also to New York when using some addons and France for others. Download and upload speeds (mostly) stick around the levels if I didn't use a VPN (30 down 10 up) but will occassionally drop slightly, particularly if using New York server. Still ample for Kodi use though and have never suffered because of it.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Last time I tried it I connected to NY but only 8mb d/l speed, was probably to do with my vm speeds as they are so erratic at peak times (for my 100mb package was down to 5mb d/l last night) will have a look again when am getting decent speeds my end, cheers...

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Any ideas here, just tested my internet and speed is around 40mps but when connected to New York or California speeds are between 5-7mbps?? In pia settings the only tick is on 'Block local network' am I missing anything in there? Cheers...

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Could be their server(s) at that location are under heavy load. If you're able to see the actual IP address/URL of the server being used for NY/California when it is slow, you could try this on a Windows PC to see if any hops between you and their server are particularly slow:
Hold down the Windows flag key on your keyboard and tap R. You can let go of the flag key now.
Type in CMD and press OK
now type in

tracert 255.EXAMPLE.255.0

or

tracert vpn5.ny.pia.EXAMPLE.com

(change the part after tracert to reflect the actual server IP/URL.

press Enter.

I'm assuming PIA would prefer you not to post URLs/IP addresses publicly, but if you want to PM me the address I can run the same from my PC and check if timings are radically different.

palpatine

Sep 26, 2016
hi im using private internet access and it seems to be trigering alot of captchas through cloudflare
@ChrisM has sugested I look for a altentive tvbp but i cant uninstall it and theres only 5 options mostly amnie
at the moment im turning off my route once a day so I can use my kodi addons for a day until my vpn blocks it
any sugestions

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Plenty of users on the forum using pia flawlessly, no such problems whatsoever....

Last edited:
Reactions: StringyMCFC