Tweeder

Jul 26, 2017
i have been in contact with nordvpn support and they figure my speeds have an encryption cap of 30mbps. I have a 250/250 connection and on my Samsung s6 and my t95z plus, I get no more than 30mbps while connected and less at times while trying other servers. They had me change protocols and as a last resort I tried ikev2 and still all results are the same or worse. Is this all their vpn allowes for speeds? I keep getting buffering while streaming while on the vpn due to the slower speeds. Any help?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
30mbps is fine for streaming.
(Minimum 8mbps recommended for hd movies).
If you have buffering it is likely due to some other cause like contention on the hosting servers.
For reference I use Nord and will check what sort of speeds i get on my t8 with and without the vpn switched on.
It was certainly good enough to watch the boxing last night once I found a stream that was not buffering due to too many people streaming from the same source.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Ok I ran some tests (results below).
They show significant reduction in speeds when connected to the VPN (Nord).
Is this a problem?
No.
For the reasons described above, speeds are greater than 8mbps so able to view HD content without buffering due to line speed limitations.
I use it all the time for Acestream sports streams.
Any buffering will be due to other things.

Results

VPN: NORD
Connection: ethernet
Measured by: Ookla Speedtest
Time: 22:30 UK

1. VPN off (average of 3 runs)

219mbps

2. VPN on (average of 3 runs)

19.83mbps

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
It dont bother me if my VPN is 30 and above as I am more than happy. Im losing speed greatly to the VPN but so long as I can stream live then its OK by me.
Just my thoughts though.
Dave

B

BarleyH

VPN have bandwidth eating habit. I have used Nord and I have a 150/150 connection. I used to get 26 or 27 mbps. Their support told me that my router is only allowing 30 mbps which I checked and I told them that it is not the case and my router (Archer 7) is allowing full bandwidth flow.

IPVanish in this case is a good choice. It also eats bandwidth but not to that extent. Checkyou can see that Nord is 2nd and some review sites don't even review IPVanish. For me it is one of the most performing VPNs in the market along with Nord and Express.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
I use Digibit. They have nearly all white listed servers so work really well with RD. They have just introduced an upgrade to the servers and I am now getting way better speeds - although still throttled Im happy.
I reckon its whatever suits people.
Dave

Anon

May 23, 2018
I use a paid ProtonVPN account and I'm getting 53Mbps for download when off and 19.4Mbps when connected to the VPN. Looks like they also do throttling as well.