Mikeb76

Feb 22, 2016
Hi there, can anyone help with this issue. Whilst in navigating around in Kodi, it suddenly and consistently keeps crashing. I have to unplug and try again. I have installed the new Jarvis update and cleared the cache, but the problem persists? Had the box about 8 months. Is it on its last legs or do I need to update the box/ firmware etc? Stuck and frustrated. Appreciate your help

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Although you have correctly cleared cache, first port of call would be to investigate a possible memory full issue. Can you go to the es file explorer app and run the sd card analysis in tools. Report back results.

Mikeb76

Feb 22, 2016
Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry I'm a novice at this stuff. I have followed other advice before your response, which did help until now and it's freezing again. That advice was to factory reset, and then remove Kodi and reinstall. I've added a few add ons back on and as I've increased add ons it has then started to crash again. I've looked under system on Kodi and it states I've used about 580MB of '1642Mb. You mention Es file explorer and an sd card analysis? Sorry but where do I find that Es thing please? And should I have an Sd card inserted?

Hope that makes sense

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
You can get es file explorer from google play. Sd card is a bit of a misnomer. These android boxes treat local storage as sd cards and call them that (not to be confused with a real sd card ).
If you've got any photos or music etc i would start by removing that (or store on a usb). Also check whether there is a lot of redundant stuff in the downloads folder. When you've done the analysis we can look further at areas to clean up.

Reactions: Mikeb76

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry I'm a novice at this stuff. I have followed other advice before your response, which did help until now and it's freezing again. That advice was to factory reset, and then remove Kodi and reinstall. I've added a few add ons back on and as I've increased add ons it has then started to crash again. I've looked under system on Kodi and it states I've used about 580MB of '1642Mb. You mention Es file explorer and an sd card analysis? Sorry but where do I find that Es thing please? And should I have an Sd card inserted?

Hope that makes sense
You can find Es File Explore into Apps/My Apps if it is already installed on the device and once you are inside Es File Explorer click on Tools and then first turn on "Show Hidden files" and then click on SD card Analyst and post results here.

Reactions: Mikeb76

Mikeb76

Feb 22, 2016
sd analyse says
Large files 159.83Mb
Kodi 15.0 - 63.54
Kodi 16. - 58.99

Redundancy files- 50.85kb- suggests deleting

Duplicate files 15.09Mb - suggests deleting.

Point to note I received some advice to change the display, through settings and change the hdmi auto detection and manual select hmdi 1080p 60hz. I did this and it never crashed last night but once again the problem started tonight. Im staring to wonder had this got something to do with the actual HDMI lead itself. As it does jump from time to time.

Thanks

Mike

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
HDMI is a 'live' connection. They should not be plugged or unplugged (even accidentally) when the hardware at either end is powered up

Mikeb76

Feb 22, 2016
I havnt been plugging or unplugging the HDMI lead whilst the box is on. I manual changed it under settings using the remote.. I was told to go to main settings than display settings and uncheck the auto detect HDMI and set it manually to 1080p ,60hz

Not literally take the lead out

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
I havnt been plugging or unplugging the HDMI lead whilst the box is on. I manual changed it under settings using the remote.. I was told to go to main settings than display settings and uncheck the auto detect HDMI and set it manually to 1080p ,60hz

Not literally take the lead out

Sorry, I thought you meant it jumped out of the socket on box/tv

In any event, a dodgy cable could send spurious electrical or perhaps even RF interference.

Mikeb76

Feb 22, 2016
Lol no. No problem. Quite frustrating and I'm starting to think the lead is the problem. I'm going to delete redundancy and duplicate files and the other version of kodi and see what happens.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hello Mike. Your memory usage doesn't look too bad so maybe the hdmi lead is an idea worth pursuing. Normally hdmi auto detection works just fine.
Btw if you are looking to clean up the box, you can probably delete the old Kodi 15. If you need to reinstall because 16 plays up you can always redownload and reinstall.
When you get a new lead you could also try on another TV. If it still crashes it suggests there may still be a problem with the box.

Mikeb76

Feb 22, 2016
Thanks for the reply and instructions. I have tried a few different HDMI leads now and all have the same result! I now have a Frozen screen with the orange pulsating circle when starting up. I've cleaned up the system, deleting what was recommended and taking off kodi 15. I'll buy a new HDMI lead and try on different TV aswell. If that don't solve it I'll have to see about returning it. Had it under a year.

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
If you've tried several other leads with same result, you've safely taken that out of the equation. Save your money

It will be worth eliminating the HDMI port on the TV with a different port or different tv before going to trouble of sending or spending

Erick De Lucas

Aug 15, 2016
Hi there, can anyone help with this issue. Whilst in navigating around in Kodi, it suddenly and consistently keeps crashing. I have to unplug and try again. I have installed the new Jarvis update and cleared the cache, but the problem persists? Had the box about 8 months. Is it on its last legs or do I need to update the box/ firmware etc? Stuck and frustrated. Appreciate your help
Hi Mike got the same issue with my m8s+ box. Did you fix it? Thanks