speedyg

Aug 19, 2014
Hi Gang,
Though I had a problem with my box until I realised it was not showing anything on screen as the particular screen I was using it on was only 720p.
I had it on a 1080p screen and wanted to test it on the 720p one.

The problem is that I have no way of changing the box to 720p if I cant see the screen.

Is there a way round this - (I have rebooted)

thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I would use the 3.5mm jack to triple phono/RCA lead to connect to your TV temporarily. It won't look pretty when looking at text, but you'll be able to adjust the HDMI output from Android's settings, then swap back to using HDMI only again. See here - Using DVI / Phono (RCA) / SCART Instead Of HDMI for a breakdown on the possibilities (for example if your TV only has SCART sockets, rather than phono.

Reactions: speedyg

Daniel Xriha

Sep 7, 2014
I have a problem with my Plasma TV - Grundig Xephia .. unfortunately I only have 1 DVI and it is already taken as I have a Vu+ receiver (Sat Receiveer). I ended up purchasing an HDMI Switch so as to increase the no of inputs.

I did the following set up:

I used a Cable DVI-D (Dual Link) to HDMI from the Plasma TV to the HDMI Switch (Output) and for the inputs I used normal HDMI Cables for the Vu+ Receiver and the DroidBox.

Now the problem is that I am getting only the picture of the Vu+ receiver but nothing is received from the DroidBox.

Any idea how to fix the issue? Right now I am using the composite connection but the resolution is nonsense compared to the HDMI.

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
In case you haven't already done so, try the following and let us know the results.

Swap the inputs you use on the HDMI switch.

Temporarily connect the DroidBOX with the DVI to HDMI cable. Ah hang on, do you have an X7 as well? If so, ignore this line unless you happen to have a miniHDMI to DVI lead as well.

If your HDMI switch is like mine, you can run it passively, but it came with a power supply. If so, try using the power supply.

Temporarily plug the X7 into a different TV using HDMI, just to make sure it is actually outputting something in the first place.

Daniel Xriha

Sep 7, 2014
Hi. Thanks for your reply ...

I did switch the HDMI inputs with no luck

The Droidbox I have is an X7 and I do not have a miniHDMI to DVI cable .. that seems to be my last thing to try! locally (Malta) these are not available unfortunately .. I will try to find on the web.

The HDMI Switch can run passively but I still connected it with its power adapter but with no luck.

I did use the DroidBox with another TV and the HDMI worked fine

Can I adjust or is there a setting that I can do on the box to make it always send an HDMI signal (TV or no TV attached?) as I believe that the box may not realise that it is attached to a DVI!

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Hmm, quick thought, can you try switching the HDMI resolution please? As in, if it is set to 720p, change to 1080p, and vice versa. See http://droidbox.co.uk/blog/Have-720p-Want-1080p/ for the procedure if you've not done it before.

[edit]
Sorry, in case it isn't obvious, use the composite video connection to make the change in Settings, and add a reboot afterwards, just to be on the safe side (it should be instant thought, if it is going to work).

Daniel Xriha

Sep 7, 2014
The link is down .. I still managed to do the change from 720p to 1080p ... rebooted but still no picture ... the only remaining resource left is to try a mini HDMI to DVI cable and see what happens.

I am attaching a screen shot of the settings can you please confirm if these are ok? just to be sure that all is set up properly?

First Output Interface: HDMI
Second Output Interface: TV
2014-09-09 23.37.41.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Those settings are correct. If you have difficulty in finding a mini HDMI to DVI cable, you may find it easier to use the existing miniHDMI<>HDMI cable, and then check in any old graphics card boxes you might have lying around, whether you have any DVI>HDMI adapters, like in the picture below:
300px-Adapter_dvi_hdmi_S7302224_wp.jpg

(so you'd attach that to your TV's DVI socket, effectively making it an HDMI socket.

One other thing to consider is whether your TV can accept audio via DVI. I believe some newer sets allow this (made necessary when PC graphics cards started to transmit audio over DVI as well as HDMI), but I know the Panasonic at my in-laws house (from around 2007) doesn't. If we get to this stage, check whether the TV's DVI socket has a dedicated set of phono/RCA sockets. If it does, you can connect the 3.5mm > triple phono/RCA lead from your X7's AV port to the RCA sockets on your TV. Not very likely, but possible, is a 3.5mm (standard headphone size, 1/8") socket for the DVI, if this is the case, you'll need a 3.5mm>3.5mm lead. Just stereo is fine, you can ignore the video output from the AV socket on your X7. See the thread I linked to at the top of this page - Using DVI / Phono (RCA) / SCART Instead Of HDMI if any of that isn't clear/needs illustrating.

Daniel Xriha

Sep 7, 2014
Update ...

I still have issues connecting the X7 Ultimate with my Plasma TV using Mini HDMI to DVI-D this could be related to a problem with my Plasma TV .. but I found a solution ..

Among the connections I have on my Plasma TV fortunatelyl I have a VGA connection .. what I did is I bought a 1080P Mini HDMI Male to VGA Female Video Converter Adapter Cable With audio from eBAY for just £6.99 and voila problem solved ... now I have a far clearer picture with a better resolution rather then the composite connection :) I recommend this type of connection to whoever is facing a similar issue like mine!
mini hdmi to vga.PNG

Reactions: speedyg and ChrisM