Richard Kershaw

Apr 6, 2020
Just joined the owners club for the x95 max.
Powered it up, works like a charm. Plugged a usb pre loaded with some films, also perfect.
Slam by 2tb new hdd in formatted to ntfs with some films on. Not only will the box not pick it up (just says 'ejected') it lasts all of a minute before crashing to a black screen.
Plug the hdd in via a usb caddy, perfect.
Issue with the box or am I being stupid?
All the cables appear to be connected within.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Would have thought to install a hdd internally it should be formatted to fat32 then it will be detected and visible from the os.

Last edited:

Richard Kershaw

Apr 6, 2020
I have the X95 MAX - Given the size of the drive at 2TB I would have thought given the advice about NTFS (did not realise android could not read that) that exfat would be the way to go.
I formatted to exfat and the box picks the drive up finally but will not read the content and we are only talking mp4 files ranging in size form 700MB to 5gb.
It just tells me to wait whilst it searches then freezes.
I then tried to format the drive using the format option on the box and it failed.
I can still accomplish all of these actions successfully when it is plugged into an external usb via a caddy including the drive being read when in ntfs format.
Thoughts?

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
We do not sell the X95 Max so I cant give any precise information for this device.

To be clear, when it is installed inside the X95 (via SATA cable I guess?) is when the issues are happening? When it is an external enclosure connected by USB it works fine?

Another reason may be that the device supports internal drives up to a certain size. 2TB should be fine, but I have seen others have lower limits. Do you have another drive to check with?

Richard Kershaw

Apr 6, 2020
Sorry Dave, getting my models slightly messed up - It is the A95X MAX purchased direct from droidbox last week.
A new 2TB HDD - formatted to NTFS placed into a caddy and plugged into the A95X MAX via USB. Works flawlessly.
Placed into the A95X MAX internal bay and plugged in via the SATA cable, it will not be recognised - storage just says "successfully ejected"
Re-formatted this morning to exFAT and it will be recognised when plugged in via SATA but will not read the content, causes the box to freeze or crash.
As I run windows 10 OS n my desktop should any diagnostics be required.
Given the size limit for the box listed was 2TB I am loathed to believe FAT32 is the answer and it certainly was not listed anywhere upon purchase for file size limits.
It's a minor thing but given there is the option to plug your HDD in and that's what I purchased the box based upon, having to plug it in via caddy is just messy.

okulo

Oct 29, 2020
Was there a solution to this?

I posted a similar problem a few days ago - the only difference being that my A95X Max does not even see a 960GB SSD, 1TB HDD or SSD formatted exFAT, NTFS or FAT32.

VikramDroix

Staff member
Jun 25, 2020
Was there a solution to this?

I posted a similar problem a few days ago - the only difference being that my A95X Max does not even see a 960GB SSD, 1TB HDD or SSD formatted exFAT, NTFS or FAT32.
Could you please confirm if you are connecting via USB cable?

okulo

Oct 29, 2020
As i mentioned in the thread I mentioned (linked below), it works fine when connected via a USB/SATA cable but not when installed in the SATA bay. I have an old 750GB HDD from my Mac formatted to exFAT installed which works fine but nothing else, even though formatted the same, is recognised, i.e. 960GB, 1TB SSD or 1TB HDD and the 750GB HDD is on its last legs, I think; it spins down during playback and videos are freezing momentarily every now and then and when the HDD is connected to my Mac, the videos glitch at the same point whereas the original video file is fine - so I want to replace the 750GB HDD with something else as soon as possible.

https://droidboxforums.com/threads/ssd-and-hdd-not-recognised.20622/