chipbutty

Mar 20, 2020
Hi - Hope someone can help. I have the RG-350 and like it and find it generally pretty robust. I've recently bought an RG-300 from yourselves for my young daughter and finding it a tricky beast in comparison! Quite buggy and difficult to setup. Compared to the RG-350 the RG-300 doesn't appear have much support or discussion on the net in general. Very little on Reddit and other avenues. I have a few questions:

Given my daughter is young and likely to be confused by the stock menu system I thought I'd look at Pymenu. This seems very buggy. The Megadrive emulator was missing. When I try and add an emulator nothing happens, nothing is created. I managed to delete the NES emulator and could find no way of adding it back. How does this all work?

Commander on the RG-350 works flawlessly. It's great. On the RG-300 any action such as copying or moving results in the system completely freezing and I have to turn it off and on again. Something I hate doing. Is this normal?

The BBC emulator shows an empty rom folder even though I know there are BBC roms in it. Are there some system files missing?

Whereabouts can I find emulators, games and apps for the RG-300? Do they use OPK files like the RG-350?

I've tried the latest firmware for the IPS version of the RG-300 from Jutley's web site. This seems ok but of course all the previously setup native games as well as all the arcade stuff is now broken. I have no idea how to set this all up again.

Can I use the latest IPS firmware with Pymenu? Where can I download Pymenu?

Also the battery charging status doesn't seem to indicate a full charge. It stays red and then starts flickering after a few hours. With my RG-350 the light goes off once charged.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm pretty lost with this system.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
For the BBC games, there is a chance they may need to be unzipped as the emulator does not support zipped files. You can do this with 7zip at https://www.7-zip.org/ for example. Also check that you are in the right folder.

I copy everything on PC and not on the device, it is much faster and more reliable.

The RG300 does not have OPK files. If you download the latest firmware from https://github.com/retrofw/retrofw.github.io/releases and there are also packs with emulators, ports etc that you can install.

I have not tried Pymenu, so not able to give any answers.

Not sure regarding the battery level, it may just be a dummy image.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Reactions: chipbutty

chipbutty

Mar 20, 2020
Thanks Dave. Regarding the battery, I'm not talking about the on screen battery icon but the battery light on the device. The light on mine never goes out to signal that the battery is full. I need to find time to give it some use to make the sure the battery is charging fully.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
They do take a while for it to charge, it could be up to 4 hours. I have not checked as I cant remember if the LED goes out. I will check when next using it and update here.

Reactions: chipbutty

Phil Graham

May 13, 2020
Not familiar with the RG-300 but if it’s anything the RG-350 you may need 3 files the basic file,os12 and Watford files. The 3 files need to go into the emulator in a folder called roms. That’s not to be confused with the roms folder where you put your game roms. The game roms should in the.ssd format.