supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
Buying advice needed: MXQ PRO 4K or Scishion V99 Hero? New to android boxes, I'm from London and it seems like there are some boxes which aren't available on UK sites for some reason, so was hoping this is the right place to get advice on the boxes I am looking at.

I am looking to stream content in 1080p (I'm happy with the resolution so don't plan on buying a new tv just yet) and started off looking at cheap £15 boxes on ebay which have 1GB of RAM thinking it would be good enough to stream 1080p. But since I am looking for the best value per £ I decided to look at boxes around the £45 mark:

- £46 SCISHION V99 - hero 64Bit Octa Core Android 5.1 (BT4.0 Dual WiFi) 4GB RAM+32GB TV Box EU, Octa Core,1.5GHz CPU RK3368, GPU PowerVR G6110, Processor ARM Cortex A53

- £45 H96 MAX - H2 TV Box RK3328 Android 7.1 (2.4G + 5G Wi-Fi BT 4.0 4K) 4G RAM+32GB UK PLUG, Quad Core CPU Cortex A53, GPU Mali-450, Processor RK3328.

- £46 MXR PRO 4K 4GB RAM + 32G 64Bit Android 7.1 Quad-core RK3328 2.0GHz Bluetooth Quad-core RK3328 64-bit Cortex A53 and Mali-450 GPU.

- I was also considering: £23 M8S PRO W Android 7.1 Smart TV Box Amlogic S-905W 2GB+16GB Mali-450 4K WIFI OTA, max up to 2.0Ghz, but the price has been varying a bit. I would still consider it if it is better value though (and if it came back down in price a bit) due to it being up to 2.0Ghz? Is 2GB RAM enough to smoothly play 1080p?

1) Should I go for the SCISHION V99 due to the octa core to futureproof? From what I've read no apps take advantage of octa core. Would it help with streaming 1080p? Or should I go for the MXR pro because the seller seems to be saying it is up to 2.0 GHz (although when I googled the chip it said 1.5 GHz?) Help needed with pros and cons, as well as discussion on the GPU/CPU power comparisons?

2) The V99 only has Android 5.1, does that mean eventually all apps will stop being compatible, making the box obsolete? Is there no way whatsoever to upgrade to latest android?

3) I am looking to use as a back up as a mini PC, would I be able to plug in a normal PC USB keyboard and mouse or am I restricted to wireless?

4) If that is the case, I was looking at this and again need advice if it these type of products work well: Black Wireless Keyboard 2.4G Touchpad Handheld Keyboard for PC Android TV UK | eBay

5) These type of small Chinese manufacturers are said to not release updates to firmware (as opposed to amazon fire, chromecast etc) but what does this mean practically speaking? How is this different to being able to update the android version for example?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi.
Since you are writing in the Droidbox user forum, it is no surprise that we would recommend boxes supplied by Droidbox.
Here's a link to their main page.

https://droidbox.co.uk/compare-models/

Certainly, the default remotes that come with all these android boxes are very poor so you may want to consider something like the air mouse type remote (i have one) or the IR keyboards. See the Droidbox accessories page. You could plug a pc mouse in to one of the usb ports. I find the air mouse type products work well wirelessly via a usb dongle.

Regarding OTA updates, Droidbox machines are well supported - especially later models. What you will find (and this is true of all manufacturers/suppliers) is that newer versions of android are not always compatible with the older processors in these machines. Not that this is a great problem - I have an older Droidbox supplied machine running Android 4.4.2 and it does everything I want.

You also have this user forum and good support (inc on line chat). Ask yourself whether the supplier you are dealibg with those.

Btw i dont work for Droidbox but have used their boxes for 5 years.

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
Hi.
Since you are writing in the Droidbox user forum, it is no surprise that we would recommend boxes supplied by Droidbox.
Here's a link to their main page.

https://droidbox.co.uk/compare-models/

Certainly, the default remotes that come with all these android boxes are very poor so you may want to consider something like the air mouse type remote (i have one) or the IR keyboards. See the Droidbox accessories page. You could plug a pc mouse in to one of the usb ports. I find the air mouse type products work well wirelessly via a usb dongle.

Regarding OTA updates, Droidbox machines are well supported - especially later models. What you will find (and this is true of all manufacturers/suppliers) is that newer versions of android are not always compatible with the older processors in these machines. Not that this is a great problem - I have an older Droidbox supplied machine running Android 4.4.2 and it does everything I want.

You also have this user forum and good support (inc on line chat). Ask yourself whether the supplier you are dealibg with those.

Btw i dont work for Droidbox but have used their boxes for 5 years.

Thanks for the reply. So what exactly do OTA updates do? Why are they so important, what happens if you can't update the firmware for a box?

I actually didn't realise that this forum is specific for the brand. Is it possible to answer my other questions, INCLUDING QUESTIONS ABOUT THE NAMED MODELS? (I numbered them for ease) Sorry don't know how the caps turned on lol

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
OTA updates can provide a range of updates; combination of OS (android), supplier provided and readily available apps. For example an update (for a Droidbox box) might provide a new version of Android, a new version of Librelec and updated versions of some important apps like Kodi (many of which are available from other sources like Google play store). You don't need OTA updates to keep most of your apps updated though as you can connect directly to the play store for updates. As I said, One of my older Droidboxes doesn't get OTA updates but still works perfectly well. Apps continue to get updated via Google Play Store and other sources.

I don't know anything at all about the boxes you mention. Generally more RAM is good. The m8s pro looks underpowered.

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
OTA updates can provide a range of updates; combination of OS (android), supplier provided and readily available apps. For example an update (for a Droidbox box) might provide a new version of Android, a new version of Librelec and updated versions of some important apps like Kodi (many of which are available from other sources like Google play store). You don't need OTA updates to keep most of your apps updated though as you can connect directly to the play store for updates. As I said, One of my older Droidboxes doesn't get OTA updates but still works perfectly well. Apps continue to get updated via Google Play Store and other sources.

I don't know anything at all about the boxes you mention. Generally more RAM is good. The m8s pro looks underpowered.
1) What's wrong with the keyboard I linked? Also you're saying I can use a USB mouse AND keyboard?? I'd much rather use something wired to avoid having to keep buying AAA or other type batteries, am I correct in thinking anything wirelesss will involve some kind of a battery?

2) If you were to have to choose between a box that had an octa core processor but with android 5.1, or a quad core (same clock speed) but with android 7.1 which would you prefer? How important is the max clock speed of a processor?

3) Would a 2GB RAM box produce slower/stuttering/buffering video? How much Ram would you say is needed to smoothly run 1080p?

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
!) You can use a USB keyboard/Mouse if you want. Or use a rechargable remote such as the VIP Plus at https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-vip-plus-mini-keyboard-airmouse-remote.html

2) The processor performance depends on what you are doing with the device. If you are generally using web browser, emails, social media etc, then best performance is not at all needed. If you are using it for media consumption then either device would perform fine as they would most likely both support 4K playback. If you are playing games or high end apps then the best performance is recommended. Personally I would go with the Android 7 device.

3) Buffering/stuttering video is rarely caused by RAM. Providing your internet speed is capable of streaming the medias, this is in most cases due to the server you are using is overcrowded or just plain slow. Try the YouTube app for example, play any 4K video and providing your internet is fast enough, it should stream without any issues.

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
!) You can use a USB keyboard/Mouse if you want. Or use a rechargable remote such as the VIP Plus at https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-vip-plus-mini-keyboard-airmouse-remote.html

2) The processor performance depends on what you are doing with the device. If you are generally using web browser, emails, social media etc, then best performance is not at all needed. If you are using it for media consumption then either device would perform fine as they would most likely both support 4K playback. If you are playing games or high end apps then the best performance is recommended. Personally I would go with the Android 7 device.

3) Buffering/stuttering video is rarely caused by RAM. Providing your internet speed is capable of streaming the medias, this is in most cases due to the server you are using is overcrowded or just plain slow. Try the YouTube app for example, play any 4K video and providing your internet is fast enough, it should stream without any issues.
Thanks. I plan on using to stream 1080p max, not 4K and not for games. So how do you think a box with the stats listed for M8S PRO would cope? you said it seemed underpowered, but isn't RAM just for multi tasking? If I only use it for streaming, would it still seem underpowered? I'm asking because it seems like it has the biggest ROM support with developers, so should be able to always get the latest Android version on it?

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
I am not familiar with the device so I can't answer any specific questions on it. 2GB RAM is plenty if you are streaming only.

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
I am not familiar with the device so I can't answer any specific questions on it. 2GB RAM is plenty if you are streaming only.

I worded it wrong, I was asking about any box with similar specs as the M8S Pro W. And in general isn't the box with the best support from the developer scene going to be the best in the long run? How important are custom ROMs?

Also why is it that more expensive boxes have more RAM and larger storage, but have slower processor clock speeds (1.5GHz compared to 2.0 GHz) or it has octa cores 1.5GHz as opposed to quad cores 2.0GHz? How important is clock speed to streaming performance?

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Generally devices with more RAM, storage etc will cost more as you are getting more for your money. The speeds of the CPU may differ but you need to take into account that the actual processors may be different, i.e. 2, 4, 6 or 8 core. So the prices will differ between a 2 core 2.0Ghz to a better performing 4 or 8 core processor running at 1.5Ghz.

As I mentioned, a dual core processor can stream a 1080p film just fine. It is other tasks where better processors perform such as menu parsing, i.e. listing 100 files you may see faster loading.

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
Generally devices with more RAM, storage etc will cost more as you are getting more for your money. The speeds of the CPU may differ but you need to take into account that the actual processors may be different, i.e. 2, 4, 6 or 8 core. So the prices will differ between a 2 core 2.0Ghz to a better performing 4 or 8 core processor running at 1.5Ghz.

As I mentioned, a dual core processor can stream a 1080p film just fine. It is other tasks where better processors perform such as menu parsing, i.e. listing 100 files you may see faster loading.
I get that more cores aren't necessary for streaming (esp octa) but doesn't that mean when looking at the processor *for streaming purposes) the clock speed is the most relevant factor (before introducing cores-all the boxes I have looked at are quad core as a minimum)?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
As DaveC suggests, all those machines will do want you want (basic streaming).
Higher spec machines = more responsive interface.
To me, the most important buying decision would be around support and build quality. Put simply, no name Chinese outfits vs reputable suppliers.

If you want to know about the relative technical merits of the machines you are intetested in your best bet is to read Amazon reviews or similar.

Google has quite a few articles on the clock speed vs cores etc subject so you could browse those to get a better feel for the subject.

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
As DaveC suggests, all those machines will do want you want (basic streaming).
Higher spec machines = more responsive interface.
To me, the most important buying decision would be around support and build quality. Put simply, no name Chinese outfits vs reputable suppliers.

If you want to know about the relative technical merits of the machines you are intetested in your best bet is to read Amazon reviews or similar.

Google has quite a few articles on the clock speed vs cores etc subject so you could browse those to get a better feel for the subject.
Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I will definitely take your advice onboard. What do you think of the merit of voice control added to remotes, is it worth the extra cost?? Does it only work in google search or does it work to search in all apps such as Terrarium tv?

Speaking of which, people seem to say terrarium tv is the best option, better and far more user friendly than Kodi for streaming? What are your thoughts?

And lastly how much of an impact does DDR4 RAM/storage have on streaming? Is it a big advantage?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi
1. I have never heard of voice control on a remote so have no idea how well it works.
On the basis that I do not use vc on the devices I have that do support it I would be highly unlikely to use it on an android box.
2. Terrarium TV is an android app that shows movies and TV shows. There are a number of other similar apps out there. The interface is slick and user friendly. But it does have a lot of pop up adds. The Kodi movie add-ons don't have adverts and often have more movies available. So it's horses for courses. I have both types installed.
3. I doubt there is any significant difference for streaming. As DaveC has pointed out to you, the critical factors are broadband connection (ethernet preferred over WiFi) and server load. All the droidbox machines I have use ddr3. Do I notice? Do I care?

Now buy that machine! Hopefully one from the Droidbox range if you value support and help from fellow users!!

Reactions: supashaka

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
I have played around with voice control as part of my own projects and for some tasks it works great. For example switching lights off/on. But for when watching TV I find using a remote control is much faster. Often you need to press a button on the remote to activate voice control, then say 'Pause' for example, or you can simply press the pause button :) It is cool to do, but not always practical, this should improve over time.

There is very little difference in the DDR 2,3,4 if you are streaming.

Reactions: supashaka

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
The adverts for both Droidbox and other suppliers mouses (mice?) claim they are compatible with smart tvs and pcs, but you will need to put the receiver dongle in one of those devices.

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
The adverts for both Droidbox and other suppliers mouses (mice?) claim they are compatible with smart tvs and pcs, but you will need to put the receiver dongle in one of those devices.

Can you verify that the droidbox remotes do actually work with both PC and rehular TVs?

supashaka

Aug 5, 2018
The ones that come with the DroidBOX are IR remotes and would not directly work unless CEC is enabled. But the ones on https://droidbox.co.uk/accessories.html which have dongles should work fine on PC. It may depend on the TV being used but generally they should work OK if a regular PC/mouse works.
Mine is a Toshiba Regza 1080p flatscreen but it's around 8 years old, it's not a smart TV so mouse and keyboard definitely won't work lol. So you're saying the dongle ones probably wouldn't work with it?