MickC1966

May 9, 2015
I have a T8 box that rarely gets better than 2.6meg download speed using WIFI.
I'm on Virgin 50 Meg and all other devices are getting between 26 and 34 Meg
Tested on friends BT network and got 30 or more which suggests nothing wrong with the box.
As all other devices at home work fine nothing wrong with the router. What can be the problem?
Firmware has been updated.
Router switched off and back on several times.
Would appear that the box and Virgin are not compatible

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I have a T8 box that rarely gets better than 2.6meg download speed using WIFI.
I'm on Virgin 50 Meg and all other devices are getting between 26 and 34 Meg
Tested on friends BT network and got 30 or more which suggests nothing wrong with the box.
As all other devices at home work fine nothing wrong with the router. What can be the problem?
Firmware has been updated.
Router switched off and back on several times.
Would appear that the box and Virgin are not compatible
Can you please tell me distance from the devices(modem and the droidbox)also is it indor/outdor ,is it floor/doors etc???

MickC1966

May 9, 2015
Thanks for replying.
Modem / Router about 3.5m direct through standard ceiling in the same house.
Tests on other devices were the same distance from the router.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Thanks for replying.
Modem / Router about 3.5m direct through standard ceiling in the same house.
Tests on other devices were the same distance from the router.
Well,the same devices probably dont have the same built in WIFI inside.As you can see,t8s is a dualband(it uses 2.4ghz and 5ghz)and if your modem doesnt support 5ghz,it will have slower speed.
Buying simple TP-link router that support 5ghz would solve the problem,also,ceiling is not the best way to go.Try to move your devices(droidbox and the modem) near window if possible,and also you should know that WiFi antenna should be moved in horizontal so,it could point the signal to UP/DOWN ways.If its vertical pointed,signal would spread LEFT/Right(because WiFi signal spread opposite of antenna direction).

Also what you can use is a some type of flask,cut it so it can fit in to the antenna ,and before you put it in antenna,use aluminum foil around the inside of the flask(stick it)and if you put antenna in vertical position,and put the plastic flask with aluminum foil inside.it will point all signal UP(in direction that you move the antenna).

And finally,bringing ethernet cable to your t8s device if possible.
Also,if you have 3G/4G internet in your mobile,you can use Wifi hotspot on your smartphone,and when your tethering is enabled,you can use droidbox to connect to it(it will read it as WiFi network)and you will be using 3G/4G internet from your mobile to browse the web in your droidbox(watch movies etc).

And,you can use WiFi analyzer to test the signal ,and also to see on the web how to eliminate bad signal between your modem and your device(eliminating dead corners).

And,you can also check this blog
https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/faq-2/w...-need-more-than-a-25mbit-internet-connection/

Regards

MickC1966

May 9, 2015
Appreciate you taking time to reply.I think I'll go for TP link. Repositioned the box and the signal was massively improved but its too far away from TV. It seems I have a dead spot with very low signal on the box.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Appreciate you taking time to reply.I think I'll go for TP link. Repositioned the box and the signal was massively improved but its too far away from TV. It seems I have a dead spot with very low signal on the box.
I am glad that i can help
Feel free to ask anything!!

Reactions: ChrisM