bp418220

Dec 3, 2014
Hi

Took receipt of my T8 box today and the internet connection is painfully slow both wired and wirelessly. Over the 2g spectrum the most I can get is 27 meg and on 5g it rockets upto 31 meg. The router is approx 2 meters away.

I then tried the wired connection and this gave 32.5 meg.

Can anyone give any insight as to why the network adaptor in the T8 box is behaving so poorly, bearing in mind that my laptop gives me a speedtest result of 151 meg connection and thats upstairs about 5 walls away???

thanks

bp418220

Dec 3, 2014
after messing about with various settings and the like - the maximum i can get out of any wireless connection is 38.9 meg and now 66.43 with the wire. Can someone please explain what to do to receive the full speed benefits of the wireless n adaptor on the droid t8 box?

Also, why is the wired connection maxing out at 66.43 when i know it to be 155ish on every other device in the household?? Im wondering if i have a faulty box

thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Re the wired connection, it is not Gigabit ethernet, so 66.43 sounds about right. With the WiFi connection, have you tried other channels on your modem/router? Install the app mentioned here - http://droidboxforums.com/threads/wifi-analyzer.83/ to see which are free of any interference, you can alter the settings of the app to look at the 5Ghz frequencies.
In terms of it being painfully slow, which media sources are you pulling from that can supply data quicker than your connection speed?

Scooch

Dec 15, 2014
Im getting a slower speed wired than i am getting wireless. I have a cat 6 ethernet cable in which is new. I take it the t8 needs a cat 5?

jigger

Aug 28, 2014
Hello there Scooch, It makes no difference. It is like driving a car on a normal road, a dual carriageway, a motorway, and a speed-non-restricted German stretch of autobahn. If your car does 80mph, you won't go faster on a road! :cool:

Reactions: Lb1875

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@Scooch - if your WiFi's maximum theoretical speed is 150Mbit, and your ethernet is the standard 10/100Mbit interface, seeing WiFi performing better in some situations, compared to WiFi, comes down to 150>100. I've not got a T8 yet, so can't experiment myself.
@Steven Foster - what sort of speed do you get on WiFi? Try temporarily using a different ethernet cable, shorter if possible, and if that doesn't help check whether WiFi is going to be quicker.

Steven Foster

Jan 3, 2015
Thanks I'm going to do some experimenting tomorrow, I used the same cable from M8 to T8 Same port on router speed difference was nearly 30mbps boxes have same specs so they shouldn't be that far apart

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
It could be there are different Ethernet-handling bits of silicon inside, or perhaps the different firmwares. See if WiFi is any better, at least for watching streams online.
Ah, you've replied since I last loaded this page. I'd stick to Wifi for now. If another firmware is released for your device, or you find one at another forum, it may have different performance levels re LAN and WiFi.

Steven Foster

Jan 3, 2015
M8 Topped out at 80mbps today wired, T8 30 on wifi and still below 20 wired, company sent firmware update but made no difference, still to many buffering issues using 30 meg wifi, non on M8, T8 now going back to shop

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Your buffering issues are going to be unrelated to a 20Mbit or better internet connection.
If you are watching high bitrate/resolution videos, we need to find a source that can sustain a high bandwidth transfer. If you're getting buffering watching SD videos, then I'd either look into tweaking some of the Advanced settings, which we can go through, or double checking whether different sources might again help.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'd spend a couple of minutes reading the wiki - http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml (Long page, but a lot of it is taken up by example XML exceprts.)
Next get used to using ES File Explorer (or your preferred file browser) to open and copy files on your iMX6.
The file you need to tweak specifically is listed here, and the options http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_cache (the four examples there can make good starting points). You can try switching between a RAM and internal storage based cache, increasing the bandwidth used (if the server is fast enough), or altering how big the cache is (you'll need to divide by a million (ish!) to get the number in Mb, and times by three for memory actually used.

You can do the XML edittng on your PC, then transfer it to your iMX6 if typing/copy&pasting is easier that way.

Steven Foster

Jan 3, 2015
Lots to learn then lol what if I attached an external hard drive to box and let cache buffer to that, is it possible, by the way thanks very much for all yah help much appreciated mate

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You could try setting up a folder on your external storage to be used when calls are made to the normal folder (in Internal Storage) used for caching. All this assumes you don't have caching set to use RAM only (see the link above for details).
I'd try other options before wrangling a KitKat Android based device into using external storage for system files though.

Frank Renshaw

Jan 11, 2015
I can't believe some people are complaining that 30 mb download is too slow. Get a life, I have to live with 6 mb here in the Canary Islands.

Scooch

Dec 15, 2014
Frank, not moaning, just didnt know it would be a poor performance wired.
They tell you to wire it up for stability and constant speed. But when dping that your getting poor performance.
How do you know if there is a firmware update?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com

Darren Smith

Feb 19, 2015
Hi there....just thought I'd chip in with my speeds.

I bought the T8 box a few days ago and I've done a few speed tests with the ookla speed test app.
First of all I'm with virgin and have the 120mb speed. My laptop that's in the other room was giving me just under 120mb download speed and that was wireless too!!!
But just tried it several times on the T8 box which is sitting next to my superhub 2 and got a maximum of 19 mb using Ethernet cable and strangely 40mb using wifi!!!

Weird that I get nowhere near the 120 mb on the T8