kelkee

May 27, 2015
I have a question I've been wanting to ask about android boxes. I'm fairly new to it. Can addons contain harmful stuff to your box like corrupting viruses?

Reactions: freddy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Is there the possibility that an add-on could delete data from your device? I would have thought so (I've not checked whether Kodi creates an environment that means only data created by an add-on can be processed with a delete request, but I suspect the checks might not be there). However I've not yet come across any horror stories about it.
The add-ons we put in our Wizard are tested for a while before going in the normal packs, but if you ever want to report strange behaviour, please do feel free to post about it here and in the add-on author's forum, if they have one.
Have a quick search around in these forums, I think antivirus apps have been discussed a few times. Some people use them, others cross their fingers.

Reactions: freddy

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Remember the problems we had not so long ago with Xfinity and AAAtv. They had a bit if a fall out and they where saying choose one, either AAAtv or Xfinity, if you choose Xfinity then AAAtv was delete from your box. Then if you put AAAtv back on it always went back to the update page.
Before that Mashup did an update which removed the hole add-on from your box.
In the time I've used xbmc(Kodi) the only problem I've had is buffering and box slowing down, and that's been a cache or not enough memory or broadband speed. I normally clear cache once a week and if I start having other problems, I clear data and re-run the wizard.
On the new firmware on the T8s you have the app kill button witch cleans things up abit for you and you can keep a eye on it too.
Also if you use a lot of other apps in android and then go into Kodi, swipe the remote from the bottom of the screen holding the mouse key and you can shut down these apps by swiping them away too.
Hope you understand all this.....

Dave